Fuel pump recommendations please

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel pump recommendations please

jstone4646
What brand of mechanical fuel pump would you guys recommend for a 351?  I am trying to keep as light on the wallet as possible, without sacrificing any quality/longevity.

Thank you in advance!
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel pump recommendations please

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's really nothing magic about a particular fuel pump.  But, some of them run higher pressure than others, so if you were going to go with an Edelbrock carb later, which doesn't like high pressure, I'd consider the Carter pump.  Or, maybe even the Edelbrock one, although it is surely more money.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Good to know, I see several brands run in the $20 range and then others are up in the $150+ range.  I am not sure how a mechanical pump can be labeled performance other than boosting the pressure, but I think my old motor would be just fine with a $20 pump.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
The pump seems pretty straight forward to replace, pull the lines and cap the tank side line.  Remove the two bolts, scrape any leftover gasket off if applicable, then just install new gasket/pump.  Anything I am missing here or anything in particular to be aware of?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have it nailed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by jstone4646
jstone4646 wrote
The pump seems pretty straight forward to replace, pull the lines and cap the tank side line.  Remove the two bolts, scrape any leftover gasket off if applicable, then just install new gasket/pump.  Anything I am missing here or anything in particular to be aware of?
Something to be aware of is if the fuel pump eccentric happens to be pushing the pump lever down during installation, the pump can be a bit hard to get in the hole straight. The problem is that the timing cover is aluminum and if the bolts don't go in straight they can cross thread very easily. My truck was like this when I bought it, and the fuel pump bolt hole threads were ruined. So...
If the bolts are not threading in easily, you may have to turn the crank a bit to get the eccentric to let pressure off the arm. Just be careful and it will be fine.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Thanks for the inputs guys, I replaced the pump this afternoon without any issue, cant believe how easy of a job that is even from the top on the motor.  Still having running issues, made another post for that.