Fuel problem, where to start

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel problem, where to start

Mbakes15
I have an 81 f150 with a 71 Lincoln 460 engine and Holley 4160 carburetor.  The old bull was starting and running great until this AM.
When I turn the key the fuel gauge works it's way up until the starter engages.  As the starter cranks the gauge goes down and the engine starts to catch but dies out.  After the first attempt at starting, it doesn't fire at all and just cranks. After a few tries I give up & I smell gas when I get out of the truck.
Tried again tonight with the same issue occurring. Where do I start to diagnose the problem?  
Any help is greatly appreciated
MBakes15
1982 F150
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel problem, where to start

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have an electrical problem.  It could be a bad battery that isn't holding a charge, a bad alternator that isn't charging the battery enough, bad cables that aren't getting the juice to the starter, or something in the system that is draining the battery as the vehicle sits.

Does your truck have gauges or warning lights?  If the latter has the battery warning light been on?

Do you have a digital volt meter?  If so, check the battery's voltage.  A fully charged battery should be around 12.6 - 12.8 volts.

If the battery is charged then you probably have a cable problem.  Check the connections of your cables coming from the battery for loose or corroded connections.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Mbakes15
Just has the gauges.  I will definitely check the battery & cables. I have had a pulley or belt squeal that started recently as well. Wondering if it may be the alternator.  Thanks for the info.
MBakes15
1982 F150
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, you may have an alternator going out on you, causing the belt squeal.  And if the alternator is toast you should seriously consider replacing the regulator.  When I bought my new 1G alternator it said "You need to replace the regulator."  I didn't, and had to go back to the store as it was also bad.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Mbakes15
Thanks, I'll check it out. 

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 8:59 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, you may have an alternator going out on you, causing the belt squeal.  And if the alternator is toast you should seriously consider replacing the regulator.  When I bought my new 1G alternator it said "You need to replace the regulator."  I didn't, and had to go back to the store as it was also bad.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fuel-problem-where-to-start-tp69281p69295.html
To unsubscribe from Fuel problem, where to start, click here.
NAML
MBakes15
1982 F150
Reply | Threaded
|

Mbakes15
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely change it as well if I do the alternator.
MBakes15
1982 F150