classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel problem

FrazerJames
This post was updated on .
If you’re following along, just got a bronco that sat for 12 years. The owner replaced the old rubber fuel lines but it was still having fuel delivery issues. This past weekend I replaced the fuel tank because it was downright nasty in there. There was no savaging it. While I was at it I replaced the fuel sender and inspected the fuel filler neck. All looked good.

For the big finish I go to start the truck and she starts right up. Then she stalls. I checked the clear pre filter on the fuel line and very little gas is in it. Just to be sure everything was working after the filter, I ran the fuel filter line directly to a gas can in the bay. Started right up and stayed running with no problems. It’s gotta be the hard line.

To be sure I hooked up my mighty vac to the prefilter going back to the tank. Just one squeeze and the filter filled up. And then... bubbles. Consistent good size bubbles. I have an air crack in the hard line I believe.

Anybody think it could be anything else?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel problem

FrazerJames
Mean case of the bubbs.

1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, some place you are obviously getting air in.  A hard line or maybe a bad connection between the rubber and hard lines?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
I think all my fittings are solid, but I’ll check again. Think I should try running nylon?
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Instead of rubber, or instead of hard line?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Instead of hardline.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd be very tempted to use the newer cupro/nickel brake line stuff.

It's easy to form, obviously can handle pressure, won't corrode, you can solder whatever fittings you want on it and buy it by the foot at most auto parts.

My truck came with nylon soft lines, but keep don't think I would use them to run up the frame rails.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
I don’t have a torch but that sounds promising!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not trying to dissuade you from using nylon.
Just telling you where my head is going when I think of having to replace my hard lines.

No matter what you choose, just be safe!
Fuel fires are no fun for anyone
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FrazerJames
Appreciated! I’ll have to go get the Missouri safety inspection after anyway. I’ll make sure they check my work.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6