Fuel pressure regulator question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel pressure regulator question

Whisler
Are the aftermarket fuel pressure regulators for carb. use usually a set-and-forget item or do they need frequent re-adjustment?

I ask because, in looking at regulators and gauges for my Edelbrock carb., I see people complain that any fuel contact on the gauge lens will fog it beyond redemption. If it only needs to be used to set the regulator and can then be removed, I'll buy a cheap gauge and install it temporarily and not worry about it. If it needs to stay on for constant use, a cheap one will probably get destroyed in short order. In that case, I would need to buy one that has a more fuel resistant lens, which I have yet to find.

Any thoughts from those with experience on this issue?

Thanks in advance.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel pressure regulator question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know what the others are talking about.  I have this regulator and gauge combo.  The gauge is always part of the system and the lens hasn't fogged at all - and its been in service for several years.

But, to your question, regulators are a set-and-forget item.  Or at least mine has been.  So you could take the gauge off and plug the hole.  However, I don't see a reason to do so.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thanks Gary. You must be a mind reader as that is the exact regulator I was looking at.

Reading reviews on many of the gauges, you see lots of people say they got fuel on the lens and it immediately attacked the plastic. I'll just pick a gauge, set the regulator and move forward.

Thanks again.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
A little more help please. I am going to use a Holley pressure regulator that has 3/8 NPT inlet/outlet and wanted to use the metal line from pump to regulator. I thought " simple enough, I'll get a 1/2-20 inverted flare to 3/8 NPT adapter and flare the line at the regulator end just like the pump end". Not so simple as I have yet to locate such an adapter.

My interweb searches have not located anything. Does anyone have an idea where such an adapter can be found.
I know I could use hose barb fittings and rubber fuel line but don't like that idea for fear of a leak hitting the headers.
Any help appreciated
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm assuming you mean 1/2" female inverted-flare to 3/8" male NPT.  If so, I found this that goes to 1/8" NPT and you could adapt that up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-NPT-Male-1-2-20-Inverted-Flare-Brass-Adapter-Transmission-Line-Brake-Line-/191871861570.

Other than other similar hits of 1/8" male NPT to 1/2" female inverted-flare, I didn't find anything to 3/8".

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thanks for looking, Gary. I found 1/2-20 female to 1/4 NPT male or 1/8 NPT male but not 3/8. maybe they don't make such a critter.

i think I will just get the 1/4 NPT male fitting and then adapt it up to 3/8. I just don't particularly like the look of one adapter into another but you do what you have to do to accomplish the goal.

Thanks again.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand the desire not to stack adapters.  But it looks like you'll need to do so.  And I like the 1/4" rather than the 1/8" one.  Show us how it looks.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Will do.
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
With all the NPT adapters that I have to use, is there any problem with using Teflon pipe tape on them for the pressure regulator application
God Bless
Whisler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Jein.  If you get Teflon tape into the system it can plug things.  So I keep the tape 2 turns back of the edge of the connector.  And then I use PTFE paste on the leading edge.

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Sounds good to me, Thanks again.
God Bless
Whisler