Fuel lines

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel lines

Whisler
While checking the wires, pay particular attention to the wire closest to the oil dipstick tube. They like to short to that tube when the wires are bad. I slipped a piece of hose over the dipstick tube to assure no contact with the plug wire, even though my wires were good.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Pebcak
I figured it out.  Of course it was the area I was going to change out when I had the time.  

Friday I took the day off to register the horse trailer and had some time to spare.  The Beast had been sitting for two weeks because of my frustration.  I decided to take it for a test drive and go get the 10 ft of new fuel rated 3/8" hose.  Got to O'Reilly's and started the drive back. Well, it got worse.  3/4 of the way home I couldn't even get to 35 mph and finally it just died on the back "back" road.  (It's a great road where I can go as slow as I want without traffic.)

Got out and started checking everything.  Decided to grab the screwdriver to short the solenoid to start it while I looked at the engine.  LO AND BEHOLD!!!!!!  My glass fuel filter I have by the carburetor is getting NO gas!!!!!  I never noticed it before because the truck DID start and run fine under 50-60 mph.

Seeing that I said "Screw it" and did a field change of the fuel line from tank selector to the mechanical fuel pump.  Thank the heavens for a 1986 where all you need is a screwdriver, pliers and a knife to fix a lot!

Got the new line in and shorted the solenoid and viola! It started up.  Next challenge was me hoping to make it to 2 miles home and that it wasn't a fluke that it was running.

Made it home going about 40 to ensure I didn't stall out again.  Parked it and removed the old lines/fuel filter completely.  Tightened the other hose down and took it for a test drive.

Went out on the main road and slowly took it up to 60 and kept it steady.  No issues but that had happened before.  I pulled into a turn around and shut the truck off and restarted it.  Started heading back home at 60 again.   Running steady......  Soooo I figured "What the heck! I'm almost home."  I punched it and was doing 80 and no issues.  

As you can see with the line I took out, it was mix matched.  Looking close I see cracks in the plastic tubing and bulging in the hose as well.  I think the lines we leaking a little and the filter needed to be changed again after only a year.  Maybe gunk from the tanks?

Now I only have the glass screen filter between the pump and carb.  I'll check it regularly to ensure I don't run into this again.

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Good to hear fixed it, fingers crossed
Just like batt. cables rubber fuel line you cant tell if they are good or not by looking at the outside of them.

The rubber lines can 'fall apart" inside and block the flow and cause issues. That is why I like to keep the rubber line as short as I can.

Also that glass filter if it is the type you can take apart to clean throw it in the garbage can and get one of the some what clear plastic ones. The glass ones can break spilling/spraying gas all over a hot motor and guess what follows!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pebcak
Glad you got it fixed.  What usually happens is that a hose ahead of the fuel pump will leak out while the truck is sitting, but it leaks in when it is running.  And what goes in is air, and the air kills the vacuum that the pump is creating to move fuel.  At some point in the power range there's only enough fuel to keep the engine running at that load, and you can't accelerate any further.

But I'd have another filter in the line.  Either ahead of or after the pump.  Or, both of the tank isn't known to be clean.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I'll look for a plastic one the next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the suggestion. 

On Feb 11, 2018 15:06, "FuzzFace2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good to hear fixed it, fingers crossed
Just like batt. cables rubber fuel line you cant tell if they are good or not by looking at the outside of them.

The rubber lines can 'fall apart" inside and block the flow and cause issues. That is why I like to keep the rubber line as short as I can.

Also that glass filter if it is the type you can take apart to clean throw it in the garbage can and get one of the some what clear plastic ones. The glass ones can break spilling/spraying gas all over a hot motor and guess what follows!
Dave ----
81 F100 flare side 300 six/T18 project
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fuel-lines-tp6246p7209.html
To unsubscribe from Fuel lines, click here.
NAML
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
We've got one more thing to add to our memory for the next person with a similar issue.

I had the one before and after until this.  I'm planning on running the beast the way it is now to see how bad the see through filter gets.  I left enough to have room to put another filter before the pump in the future. You know, just in case. 

On Feb 11, 2018 15:08, "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glad you got it fixed.  What usually happens is that a hose ahead of the fuel pump will leak out while the truck is sitting, but it leaks in when it is running.  And what goes in is air, and the air kills the vacuum that the pump is creating to move fuel.  At some point in the power range there's only enough fuel to keep the engine running at that load, and you can't accelerate any further.

But I'd have another filter in the line.  Either ahead of or after the pump.  Or, both of the tank isn't known to be clean.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fuel-lines-tp6246p7210.html
To unsubscribe from Fuel lines, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Reviving this thread from February as I'm still diagnosing my engines performance issues...

I've got a 302 carb'd engine...where is/are the fuel filters on these engines? I thought there was one at the carb but is there also an in-line coming from the fuel tank selector?

1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the fuel system illustrations here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1980-84-f-series--bronco.html, and I don't see an extra filter.  In fact, I'm quite sure that the carb'd engines had only the one filter at the carb.

However, there's no telling what a previous owner might have done.  I have frequently added a filter ahead of the mechanical fuel pump, and many people add a filter after the pump.  So, you'll have to inspect your truck to see what you have.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
That's a great point Gary - I'll have to go back through my grandfather's service notes and see what was done when.

1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.