Fuel filler neck out there somewhere?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel filler neck out there somewhere?

Lima Delta
Hello, having a heck of a time locating a replacement fuel filler neck for the aft tank on my F250. Hoping someone here might have one in good condition they could set me up with.
Depending on the cost, I wouldn't mind also getting a filler neck for the front tank too...

Thanks!
LD
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel filler neck out there somewhere?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, which part numbers are you looking for?  Here's the illustration for the mid-ship tank:

And here's the illustration for the aft-axle tank:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
Oh man...I hate it when this happens, but I had a styleside filler neck kickin' around my garage for a year and I finally threw the thing away about three weeks ago. I would have gladly given it away. I assumed it was for the midship tank, but I guess it doesn't matter much now.

If I come across another one I'll definitely grab it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I may have one, but just need to make sure I know what he's looking for.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Somewhere recently I'd read that the next gen filler neck is a good upgrade and if so it looks like LMC has them....and they like them.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/FDA53.htm

I pulled 3 of them when at the jy last week but left the necks in the bed of a truck as I just needed the black plastic housing. If nothing turns up, I can grab one next time I am there.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,
The garagemahal is such a great resource - thanks!
According to those diagrams, part numbers are 9034 in both cases, but clearly each filler neck is a different shape - does that make sense?

LD
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Hi Rembrant,
Thanks, yeah, I started out just trying to get a little bodywork done around the fenders, then I start noticing things, and suddenly I got a nice a can 'o worms on my hands haha.

LD
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Hi kramttocs,
I looked at my LMC magazine last night and saw those, but looks like they fit 87-96. Are you saying they may fit an 85 as well?
If you were able to grab me one from the scrap yard it would be much appreciated. I WISH I could find a few old hulks up here in the scrap yards. Vehicles from the bullnose era either rusted out or got parted out long ago I'm afraid.

LD
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Lima Delta wrote
Hi Gary,
The garagemahal is such a great resource - thanks!
According to those diagrams, part numbers are 9034 in both cases, but clearly each filler neck is a different shape - does that make sense?

LD
The "9034" is the generic part number.  And every filler neck, officially Pipe Assy (Fuel Tank Filler), for every Ford vehicle ever built anywhere in the world will have its filler neck listed as a 9034.  But, it is the prefix and suffix that are needed to differentiate between, say, a 1950 Ford sedan built in the US and a 1990 Ford truck built in Europe.

If you go to Fuel Systems/Fuel System Part Numbers/Fuel Filler Pipes you'll see that the Bullnose ones are something like E0TZ 9034-C.  The "E" in the prefix means the 1980 decade, and the "0" means the first year of the decade.  In other words, that part was engineered and/or first used in 1980.

And the "C" means it isn't A nor B nor D nor...., with each change in letter of the suffix meaning the part is different.  Perhaps it is a slight revision and will fit and/or work, or perhaps it is a part that doesn't even look the same and certainly won't fit.  And we don't have any way of knowing that by just looking at the catalog.

As for the later ones, I've read that the later fuel filler systems will allow the gas to be pumped in at a much higher rate.  And since Big Blue is both thirsty and shy about allowing gas to be pumped in, I need to explore what the differences are.  But, at this point I can't tell you if it is just the filler neck or the hoses, or the combo.

Perhaps someone else can enlighten us?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've added it to my Junkyard Wunderlist so will pick one up if still needed then.

I've never looked at a next gen one so I am afraid I am no help there. I just recall someone talking about it and gaining a 'better cap' and improved flow like Gary mentioned.

One thing I did notice when I was pulling them at the jy was that some had the flap in them and some didn't. My 86 and the one I pulled from an 86 didn't but some of the others (I know one was an 82) did have the flapper.

Just found it interesting.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Weather and time permitting I may run to the jy tomorrow morning. Are you still needing this? If so, does yours have the flapper? I don't know if they all had flappers except the 460 or not but that's the pattern I've seen.
Scott