Fuel Sending unit, fuel gauge, and instrument resistances.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel Sending unit, fuel gauge, and instrument resistances.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
My thought was that the pickup tube is shown as 8mm OD
There are lots of 6" long in-tank corrugated *nylon fuel pump hose connectors that might slip over the dip tube and therefore allow adjustment.

Attaching the sock to that is my only question.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks again, Gary and Jim.

My current  plan is to address this using the existing dip tube on the Spectra FG745A .....

I'll update this post with Pics of how my tentative plan work out, which is to:

1. straighten the dip tube at the bends (without kinking it).
      1a. IF, it does kink, I will look at extending, and eliminating the kinks/ed section, with some flexible line probably rubber compatible with submission in Gasoline. Possibly Dayco 80160 Submersible Fuel Hose (https://a.co/d/gn9tP7G)

2. Drain the remaining fuel in the tank.

3. Set the sending unit back inside the tank.

4. Start adding fuel (Gallon at a time?) until I an able to pull fuel out of the tank, and adjust the gauge to "E"mpty

Fingers crossed,

Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
STATUS UPDATE: (Be sure to click on the picture to view them completely)

Root Cause: 1/2 Human Error, 1/2 Substandard manufacturing.

1/2 Human Error:
1. I did not notice that the dip tube extended into the "Pickup
Screen" as much as it had, when I squeezed it with my fingers it seemed as thought there was nothing
there, but in fact there was

Like this:

1/2 Substandard Manufacturing:
1. The Dip tube in the previous Sending unit was in-fact shorter (by about 2"), and it did not have a Pickup screen. Notice , in the picture the bend direction on the unit on the right definitely contributed to the extension of the Dip tube into the Tank.

2. I thought I was buying a well-known name and was safe purchasing from prime but this (https://a.co/d/aRuYFiP) was NOT the best choice.

I got the PN FG74A

for my 19 gallon DS Midship mounted, tank that was plastic

(https://www.gastankdepot.com/4252b-plastic-fuel-gas-tank-ford-pickup-19-gallon.html)

Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for the follow-up Alex!  

On the surface the Dorman sender from Amazon appears to be better quality and shows a pickup screen in the link.
But "looks good" obviously isn't always the best answer. Things definitely changed with Dorman/Motormite back around the turn of the century.
Spectra seem to specialize in fuel systems and we know they OEM for a bunch of labels.
Maybe the pickup will work better with the sock in the right place?

Do you intend to do any level testing, or just bend the arm down on the sender?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.