34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fuel Reservior, what can I do ?

Howling.Wolf
This post was updated on .
Hello Ladies and Gents,
got me a nice 1986 5.0 EFI 4x4 LWB with only 19387 miles on the clock.
Buuuut here we have a new problem.
The inline pump on the frame tries to transport fuel from the tanks to the engine.
But there is only air that flows out of the fuelpump unless the car stands downhill.
I disasambled the fuel filter reservoir which holds the tankswitch on top and changed the filter in the reservoir.
I have the feeling that something is wrong here.
Now I have 2 questions in my mind.
1st who tells the Tankswichreservoir which tank to be used ?
2nd do you guys have an idea how to replace this by a substitute one as I cannot find an original replacement ?
Thnx in advance and
Haveniceday.

Heinz
Sorry the pic is upsidedown
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fuel Reservior, what can I do ?

85lebaront2
Administrator
There is an in-tank pump that may be bad, it is a low pressure one, if you have two tanks then there is a low pressure pump in each one. The tank selector switch  supplies power to the selected tank pump and connects the sender in the selected tank to the gauge. I would try unplugging the frame pump, ground the tan/light green wire at the test connector and see if you can hear either of the in-tank pumps running and if so there should be a hiss of fuel flowing through the supply and return lines at the reservoir.

The reservoir contains two diaphragms one for each supply pump and they will move the supply and return shuttle valves to allow the proper flow to and from the tanks. One item, Ford changed the reservoir in 1987 doing away with the internal filter, but the later one should work (same system was used on EFI from 1985-1989) so maybe a 1987-89 might be available. To my knowledge the only difference is the filter in 1985/86 and none later.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Thanx Bill,
I will try this if I find the test connector.
Speaking of the two pumps. Does this all also count if one them doesn‘t work?
Because the clock of the rear tank seams to be dead if I switch onto that one.
Have a great day.
Heinz
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
The one that you have is the early design. The newer one, without filter, is still available. F1UZ-9B263-B
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanx Bill,
This helps a lot.
The Truck and I are getting to know each other more and more.
So if I got you right. Then I may expect some fuel spill coming out of one of theese pipe connectors once i turn the key and the green/tan of the testconnector is grounded  an the switch is on front as the picture is from the front tank.
I surely can hear the frame pump as this is quite noisy. But unfortunately northing comes out of the tank.
Would mean I have an in-tank fuel problem.😩
I know check the rear tank as well.
Thanx
Heinz
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Good luck with it sir! BTW, if your frame pump is quite noisy it has probably been replaced with an aftermarket pump. The original was a Bosch, which from what I remember from my days in a Mercedes-Benz dealership, looked very similar to the one used on the D-Jetronic Mercedes V8s and the M110 DOHC in-line 6 once Daimler-Benz quit using that Solex Quadrajet. You can probably get one easier than we can here.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
In reply to this post by Howling.Wolf
Allright, I recon I need 2 new in-tank pumps and once I am on it, 2new tanks as well.
As the gas in them might be is as old as the truck.
Grrr.
I start with the sidetank.
Thanks for the help Bill.
Just one more question please what is the tan/lightgreen wire, once grounded, supposed to do?
Please have a nice sunday

Heinz
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Will a Delphi sending unit and a spectra tank (19 gallons) be good ?
Or do you have any other suggestions ?
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I will answer both your questions here. The tan/light green wire is the control circuit for the fuel pump relay. It is grounded by the EEC to run the pumps. It is initially grounded when the ignition switch is turned to "run" which is why you hear the pump on the frame "pulse". after the initial pulse, the EEC needs to see a signal from the distributor telling it the engine is turning, there is also a signal from the starting circuit which may trigger the pump control circuitry in the EEC. Grounding the tan/light green wire with the key on closes the relay.

On your second question, as long as the tank is for a 1985/86 with EFI and the sender includes the pump, then yes, it is what you need. Physically any tank from 1985-1989 with the low pressure in-tank pump will fit in place and work, but, as Gary showed in his "Big Blue" thread, Ford changed the filler piping in 1987 to correct a fuel filling issue that was annoying at a minimum on the styleside trucks and a flat out pain on a dual rear wheel truck. If you can give me the PNs, I can check what you are looking at.

I just went to Rock Auto's site, the Spectra tank I come up with is PN F6B, Delphi pump (only) is FE0484, pump and hanger (includes sender) is HP10157. If you have the F6B tank and one of the Delphi numbers you should be good. Before I would condemn the in-tank pump, I would make sure I have power and a solid ground at the plug on top. Power will be the red wire and pump ground is the orange wire. The black wire is sender ground and the two of them are connected together in the harness near the frame mounted pump.

I hope you can follow all this, I don't have a good way to put this in German, although at one point I was pretty good at interpreting the instructions on my Marklin 1015 metal building set. I did have the English translation, but it was just text, none of the pictures, so it involved a lot of back and forth for a 12 year old.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not Bill, but maybe I can help.

First, on the sending unit, tank, etc, I recently bought a new Spectra tank with the pump and sending unit included.  It was for a '95 so is a different unit, but you might look for that combo for your truck as it was very cost effective and kept the shipping cost down.

But, to answer your question, a Delphi sending unit and Spectra tank will be fine.

As for what the tan/light green wire does, it is used to pull in the fuel pump cutoff relay.  On Page 60 you'll see the blue triangle marked ZZ, and if you follow its wires back you'll find that it is powered by the EEC Power Relay in Run or Start.

That goes to Page 104 where the Fuel Pump Cutoff Relay is, and it supplies power to that.  Then, on the other side of the relay is the tan/light green wire & another blue triangle marked YY, which goes off to Page 62.  And on that page you'll see the ECA, which grounds the wire and, therefore, pulls the relay in.  And that provides power to the pumps.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Question of the day.....
Found the problem, will you ? 🤓
How can one design a pump with a rubberpipe as a connection on top that gets lost ???.
I now wonder what has happened to the tank in the rear.
Haveanivceday
Heinz.
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanx a lot Guys.
You are really so good in knowlage and documentation.
Just great
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops.  Was just making it bigger so I could see.

And, having done that, it looks like there are wires for power and ground to the pump.  No?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It either wasn't put on, wrong type of material or something on that order. I would test it while it is out and make sure it runs, Diesel fuel is close enough in viscosity and less likely to ignite from a spark. I believe the hose is 5/16" or very close to 8mm ID and that shouldn't be too hard to find along with some good clamps.

Glad you found it, hopefully before you ordered the new tank and pump.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, looks like it to me also, but maybe it's the angle, I can't see a strainer on the pump inlet.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, I can't see a strainer.  But on the hose I'm confused.  What's the problem?

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
The Problem is, that the pump has no connection to the outletpipe.
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, this is a Chrysler EFI pump, it sits at an angle like your rear tank may. I have three pictures of it.

First an overall view with the hose it uses for internal connection, pay no attention to the dome shaped piece it is a damper to help keep the pump quieter (tank is underneath the rear seat below the floor):
You can see the (very dirty) inlet strainer.

Second is a closeup of the hose, this is a high pressure pump, static is 55 psi, rising with boost to 70 psi:

Third is a bottom view, the black pieces sit on the bottom of a reservoir "cup" that is filled by a jet on the return (not visible because it is on a different access piece and is actually a hold over from the carbureted cars:

I hope these help, I didn't realize  had made it to Germany .
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Howling.Wolf
Rear Tank sending unit.

GONE too !!,

Looks like I will have to make the Rockauto people rich 😩
 ´86 F150 5.0 EFI 4WD LWB
I belive in metrics. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe you can just put a hose there and they'll work?