Front Wheel Camber

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front Wheel Camber

Powerman5K
Starting a new thread as I want to better understand my truck's camber, what's normal, and can it be adjusted.

For starters, let me show you what I'm working with.

My wheel camber seems to change. The first picture is how I found it this morning. The second is after I took it for a drive. As you can see the second has a MAJOR positive camber, while the first seems pretty normal. My tires wear on the outside edge massively. I have kingpins so not much I can do to adjust this.

Questions:

Is this normal for a kingpin setup?

If not, any thoughts what could be causing it?

Checked the kingpins yesterday and there was no slop or movement in them. I'm told the only option I have is to bend the I beams. Please tell me there is something else!

1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Wheel Camber

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can change the ride height.   💡
I have a TTB axle and the camber changes drastically like that if the spring and pivot rubbers are worn and I back up

Honestly, bending the beams is the only answer with kingpin axles.
The nice thing is that they stay good forever if you keep them greased so the pins and bushings don't wear.

So yours are likely just worn out and need replaced.
Is there any slop when jacked from the chassis?
Have you checked the ride height and put it up on the rack at an alignment shop?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Wheel Camber

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim you are definitely correct on the king pin twin I beams. Darth's were fully aligned in 1995 and other than some toe-in adjustments nothing since then.

If you can find a shop that can and will bend them, and knows how to set them up correctly, they will last forever, just replace the bushings periodically.

The fellow who did my 1977 and Darth, was training an apprentice when I took Darth to him, he asked if I minded having the apprentice do Darth's alignment under his supervision. I told him if he had confidence in him, then let him do the work so he could learn.

That was 27 years ago, still drives straight and amazes many people as to how even the tires wear. Shop I bought the tires from wanted to check things when they put the tires on, I told them ok, but other than toe-in not to change anything, he said they can't do anything on the king pin axles, he just wanted to see what it was set up at since the tires were so evenly worn. He came back to me and said it was the most perfectly set twin I-beam he had ever seen.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413