Front Suspension

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front Suspension

emunder
I'm getting ready to put a lift on my truck & was wanting some opinions. Thinking about going with the 4" system from Rough Country. Looks like it will fit the bill for my application. Not wanting anything crazy for extreme off roading because we have 2 fully built up Jeep JK's for that. Just want to get a little lift on her & run 33's with a decent ride. My question is what else do y'all recommend I replace while I'm in there? I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance so I will be doing the ball joints & tie rods but what else should I look at replacing? Kit will obviously come with new front springs & shocks. I'm going to run the blocks in the rear for the time being but later will most likely swap them out for new leaf springs. But with the front I'm not totally familiar with the twin traction beam setup as far as all the parts go. Isn't there pivot arm bushings & radius arm bushings that should also be replaced? And then as far as alignment goes should I just run the stock camber bushings until I get it to the alignment shop? Then they can put it on the rack & swap those out if need be? I have a real good guy that understands the alignment & suspension on these so if it needs a certain degree camber bushing he would be able to tell once I get everything wrapped up and over there. As always...thx for the help!
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Suspension

salans7
Replace every single bushing, and if you can install adjustable camber bushings, do that too to make the alignment job easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by emunder
It depends what condition it's in right now.  Have you serviced the wheel bearings the way Ford recommends?  How old/tight are the spindle bearings?  What kind of hub locks do you use?  How old is the diff oil?  If you drop the beams, that would be the time to add a drain plug to the diff, and eliminate the C-clip.  While the BJs are apart, you can install adjustable camber cams so you never have to buy the solid ones again.  Yes, the pivot & radius arm bushings should be changed to black Energy poly, as should all the other bushings (including shocks & sway bars) & tie rod end seals.
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products/ford_f150_4wd_1986?scri=8,1&filter

This album shows several of those jobs:

These show how the suspension & axle are built:

After everything is finished & torqued down, or for anything you can leave in the sun for a few days, this will protect the exposed threads from rust, and can be touched up any time:

The diff vent hose(s) can be replaced with 5/16" (8mm) silicone tubing.  Before starting, pressure-wash it a few times.
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
This is exactly the information I was looking for thank you! I am also going to get into the wheel bearings when I pull everything apart. Grease em up if they look OK, if not just go ahead & replace with Timken. I need to get a couple of tools too...spindle socket, race bearing kit, & pitman arm puller. Not sure on the hub lock type, they def are not Warn...stock I'm guessing? Here is a pic of it though. Also got my build sheet in...ordered it from Marti Auto...guess they call it the Marti report. Truck def did not come with stock air so sure it is dealer installed as everyone has confirmed.

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Parts are all ordered! Excited. I decided to go with all Moog parts but ordered the following: Both tie rod ends, adjustment sleeves, outer tie rod ends, axle pivot bushings, upper & lower ball joints, & radius arm bushing kit. Went with Specialty Products & got their adjustable camber/castor sleeves.

Also ordered the Rough Country 4" lift with extra shocks since mine runs 6. Went with blocks for now but I think I will replace with new leaf springs in the future.

Also going to do new wheels & tires. Haven't pinpointed which tire I want yet but they will be 33/12.5/15's. Thinking I do like these wheels though & they are pretty inexpensive...what do y'all think? Thinking they would go pretty well with the truck being gray & a lot easier to clean besides polished aluminum or chrome.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice looking wheels!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by emunder
emunder wrote
...on the hub lock type, they def are not Warn...stock I'm guessing?
Stock hub locks were made by Warn, and those are definitely stock Warns.  Only the "LOCK>" label is missing from the center, to cover the screw.  I think someone here makes them new...

I could find a LOT of other things to blow $400 on, rather than wheels to replace good wheels.
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Oh ok good to know thx Steve. On the wheels...well yes I agree but there is an issue with one of them. The hole in the wheel where the air valve goes is pressed in is jacked up. They have it surrounded with a bunch of silicone.  Figure I'll turn one of them into a spare.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
emunder wrote
...on the hub lock type, they def are not Warn...stock I'm guessing?
Stock hub locks were made by Warn, and those are definitely stock Warns.  Only the "LOCK>" label is missing from the center, to cover the screw.  I think someone here makes them new...

That would be reamer.