Front Bumper Poll!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front Bumper Poll!

LARIAT 85
I would like for you to stop and take a good look at how cool the Bullnose generation of trucks looks from the front.  I mean, doesn't that look badass?  

Second, I would like your opinion on the front bumper.  Do you prefer the front bumper with or without the optional rub strips and bumper guards?  I, for one, think that a Bullnose looks particularly good with them; it makes it look like a battering ram (or a RAGING BULL!) that can go through ANYTHING in it's path!  I think these were probably the very last generation of trucks that looked good with bumper guards.

What do you think?
Smooth Bumper or Rub Strips and Bumper Guards?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Bumper Poll!

Dan Crowley
They both look dam nice. I went with the pads on my 84, but either one's a winner in my book!
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I kind of like the 3rd

Out of your 2 I like the clean look.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Rick - I voted for "plain" because I think adding the bumperettes makes it too busy.  I don't dislike them, but just like the front better w/o them.

Having said that, I like Dave's option #3 best of all.  In addition to placing the lights in the factory bumper, our member Alfie has made a Warn winch bumper look-alike and has put lights in it.  I really like that approach as it keeps the front looking "clean" but adds functionality.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Impact strips and bumperettes look great on these trucks! I prefer them on two-tone trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
LARIAT 85 wrote
Second, I would like your opinion on the front bumper.  Do you prefer the front bumper with or without the optional rub strips and bumper guards?  
I'm personally quite fond of the plain bare front bumper, and prefer it, certainly on a plain truck at least.

Overall, I actually prefer plain trucks in general. It's not that I dislike a two tone or Lariat or any of the fancier versions of my own, it's just that I have a fondness for them in plain trim. Nothing sexier than a nice two tone Lariat...they are gorgeous. I think my preference simply comes from what I'm used to. Growing up, there were a lot of plain Bullnose trucks around. Rural areas, everybody used them for work...around here we say the "Three F's"...fishing, farming, and forestry, and most families were not buying Lariats and XLT's for that.

Also, I should probably admit that I also always had it my head that a plain truck was going to be far easier and cheaper to restore...one color, no trim, no moldings, etc.

Anyway...back to the bumpers...I do like them plain, but I like them with the guards and rub strips on a truck like Rick's. I find it would look out of place on a plain truck like mine.

PS: Don't forget that there was also a 3rd front bumper style...and those I find a little odd looking. Nothing against them of course, but when they have the black rub strips but no guards, they look to me like something is missing because of the gaps where the guards are supposed to be.

PSS: Funny about the bumper topic...I did just receive an order from LMC, and in that order was the two plastic inserts and screws for the front bumper so I could install a front plate. We don't have front tags here, but I might get something made up to just break things up a bit on the front. I'm thinking of something similar to the original Ford style dealer decal that was on my tailgate, but made to fit a licence plate size.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Tough question! I like them both. I agree, it would depend on the paint and options on the truck.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
PSS: Funny about the bumper topic...I did just receive an order from LMC, and in that order was the two plastic inserts and screws for the front bumper so I could install a front plate. We don't have front tags here, but I might get something made up to just break things up a bit on the front. I'm thinking of something similar to the original Ford style dealer decal that was on my tailgate, but made to fit a licence plate size.
I thought you could get the plastic inserts for the plates at the auto parts stores?
I want to get a front plate that reads "Built not Bought"
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Dee1986
In reply to this post by grumpin

I like it smooth
Brian,
1986 f250 xlt lariat 4x4/ 460 4 speed
2016 super duty lifted
1949 Ford custom sedan, orig flathead eight
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
I prefer with rather than without but I’m biased😁
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I like mine better with the strips and guards
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC