classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Guy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Front Axle Beam

Guy
So, quick background. I’m trying to fix/replace the pivot arm bushings on a 1982 F150 302 V8/Rwd. I ended up taking it to a shop because I’m a novice and didn’t want to mess the truck up.

That said, the auto mechanics damaged one of the axels beam during a pivot arm bushing repair. They’re saying it was worn and/or already damaged; however, I’m not too sure if that was the case. Those things take a lot of force to get out and if not properly done, can be damaged in the process??? I don’t know if I’m just being a stick in the mud or if I’m pissed that I know have to find a “new” passenger side axle beam.

Any advice?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Axel Beam

old55pete
At this point, I would have to ask for pictures of the "I" beam at the bushing end. After that most of uc could tell you if the bushing did infact wear through to the beam or the shop screwed up.

Ether way, you need to find an axle.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Front Axle Beam

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Guy
It seems ridiculous that you would hire a professional and they would tell you that you're responsible for their damage.

If they discovered wear or potential damage the first thing they should have done was stop, and inform you of what they had found.
Then ask how you wanted to proceed.

I would not be happy were I in your shoes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Guy
Does this truck have the stamped steel beams? I could see somebody damaging one of them...maybe. The forged steel beams though...they are pretty indestructible, I can’t image how they would damage one. If it’s a case of the bushing failing and then the hole in the beam becoming elongated from bouncing around on the bolt, I suppose that is possible, but it would take a while and I would think that it would be awful to drive like that. Curious to hear the outcome on this one.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If you went with poly bushings you do not need to remove the outer metal shell.
Don't even need to remove the beams if you didn't want to.

Drop the beam and burn the rubber part of the bushing out.
Clean up what is left and hit it with a little paint if you want.
Install the poly bushing with the grease they give you and fit it back up into place and install the bolt.
Repeat the same to the other side.

I have ploy pivot bushings and radius bushings and I don't think it has a harsh ride because of them.
The truck gives a nice smooth ride even over bumps.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100