Freeze plugs in back side of cylinder heads leaking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Freeze plugs in back side of cylinder heads leaking

Dawson81
So I picked this 93 bronco up for a few dollars it sat up a while the transmission was a headache, it's an e40d it was redone recently i could tell by the fluid and fresh grey Jasper paint and tag but it kept going into failsafe mode different story, but the engine is fresh painted with new motor mounts and gaskets but the two in the back of the heads are crying if someone went through all the trouble of going through it they replaced all the other freeze plugs why not replace those two, has anyone ever replaced those without a major tear down ?
84 f150 4x4 Swb granny low 331 roller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Freeze plugs in back side of cylinder heads leaking

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Somebody probably bought a short block?????

We have a saying in the trades "putty 'n paint make it what it ain't"

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dawson81
That's what I'm curious about it runs nice and tight no noises clean oil I'm trying to figure out how to pop some new ones in without pulling the motor it's my only ride at the moment
84 f150 4x4 Swb granny low 331 roller
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can't say.
There isn't much room at the firewall.

Though I think my 460 is a little tighter back there than a Windsor.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dawson81
I haven't done this, but they make a rubber expanding freeze plug.  It is only meant for emergency repairs, but it might get you by for a while.

However, getting the old ones out w/o pulling the heads is not going to be easy.  So I think I'd pull the heads and do it right.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I've not seen this done on a small block, but we used to do it a lot on 460s. The plug on a 460 is only about 7/8" though. Drill a 1-1/4" hole in the firewall and work through that, then put a rubber body plug in the hole.

Yes, dealers take shortcuts too!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...