classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forum Structure & Etiquette

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was recently asked what the proper/best way to use the forum. In other words, where should various things be posted. And later I was asked about the use of the Projects folder vs the main section of the forum. So that got me to thinking, and a dim vision of how I envision the various parts of the forum is emerging from the fog.

Here are some of my thoughts on the 10 folders we have pinned to the top of the main page, but I'd like to see yours on them as well. And after we get this sorted out maybe this becomes a new part of the FAQ's.

1. New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself: This is where our guidelines are posted, and it is hoped every new member will read the guidelines and start a thread/topic to introduce themselves and their truck(s). And while there is nothing that says "don't troubleshoot here", that really wasn't the purpose of the folder.
  2. Resources: This is supposed to be a list of resources we've found or have, such as links to other sites with info or vendors, lists of books available, or those who have special skills that are willing to help others. It is locked such that only admin's can create a new topic, edit a topic, or respond to one
  3. Projects: This folder is intended for any of us to have a place where we can document what we are doing or going to do w/o responses cluttering up things. In other words, anyone can create a topic and lock it such that no one can respond. But, it doesn't have to be that as you do not have to lock it and then others can respond. I use this to think about what I'm going to do on things like the Upgrades To Big Blue. There you can see my plans for the truck, but you can't respond. That gives me a "whiteboard" where I keep track of things, and I can go back and edit it at any time.
  4. Garage/Shop & Tools: An open folder where people can post about things relating to their garage, shop, or tools.
  5. eBay & Craigslist Finds: An open folder where people can post what they've found for sale and in which others might have an interest.
  6. For Sale, Trade, or Free To A Good Home: The place to post things you have and are willing to sell, trade, or give away.
  7. Picture Gallery: As the intro says, I'm not 100% sold on having that folder, but we are using it to hold pics of our trucks, so why not keep it. However, what are your thoughts?
  8. 2018 Garagemahal Ford Truck Show Planning: This needs to change to either "Show Planning" and have a folder under it for each year, or make it the current year, such as "2019 Show..." I'll work on that soon.
  9. Quarantined Threads & Posts: This is where posts that don't meet our guidelines go - after the author has been given a chance to correct it and hasn't. Or, spam. Fortunately we've not had any of the former, and only one of the latter. And only admins can see into it.
  10. Want To Buy: Open to all members to post what they are looking for.

So, what are your thoughts? Does this explain how to use the various folders? Are changes needed to these writeups?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Forum Structure & Etiquette

Ray Cecil
If you want to get super organized I would get rid of the main thread area and force everyone to select a sub category. However, I like going to the main thread page and looking at the response times, it helps you see what the latest post is. I think its fine to keep going the way it is. If you change anything, you will have to manually go through and categorize all the threads under the main area. Wouldn't you rather be working on your truck?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - I'm not suggesting changing anything.  Instead, I'm trying to explain what the various folders are intended for.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Well, I guess it's a bit like herding cats. No two people are going to see and understand the entire site the same. Also, not everyone has the time, nor the patience to seek out the proper place to put everything. I try my best, but I do think maybe I should have placed Little Blue 82 thread in the projects forum. Call it ignorance, laziness, or stupidity, website forums tend to show everyone's difference in thinking and thought organization.

If you are looking for a volunteer to moderate and move things around to help tidy up.......I aint got no time fo dat, sorry Gary. Maybe when I finish a few projects around the house I can help out with that!

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm not looking for volunteers to move things around. And I'm not worried about where people put things. I'm simply trying to answer questions I've been asked about where to put things. So I wrote up my logic for what my intent was for each folder. But, that doesn't mean everyone needs to do it the way I envisioned.

So, for instance, your thread on Little Blue 82 could have gone in Projects or the main part of the forum. And the only difference is that the author of a thread/topic has the ability to lock the thread in the Projects folder and not in the main section. I don't care whether you lock it or not, but if you are wanting to just document things w/o others chiming in, that's the only place you can do it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
gotcha.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I think it explains the folders fine.

The Picture Gallery is a great place to show your Bullnose.

I didn't realize you could lock the Projects folder items. I think that's great how you explained it, and you can let people post if you want.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, grumpin.  We will let this "cook" for a bit and see what comments others have, and then I'll copy it to the Forum FAQ's page.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
I think it explains the folders fine.

The Picture Gallery is a great place to show your Bullnose.

I didn't realize you could lock the Projects folder items. I think that's great how you explained it, and you can let people post if you want.
Same here on the explaining of folders and the lock down in projects.

I do think the "show folder" needs to be looked at and worked over a little.
Maybe have a main folder "shows & gatherings" and then inside it would be like the project folder where each folder would be about the show or gathering. You could make it locked down or not by who ever posted it.

Out on the main page you can still see if there is a new unseen post in any of the folders because of the different color of the date or time it was posted.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks Dave.  I do intend to make that folder for Shows, plural, and have sub-folders under it.