Ford put it there, but do I need it

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford put it there, but do I need it

26ftcobraBBF

Hello all it's this part pictured nesessary to be in place. I cracked one of the metal pieces inside trying to clean it. This is on an 85 460 Fed emissions vehicle. What is it and what exactly is it for. Thank you for looking
Mike
'85 Ford Cobra Econoline E350 7.5L carbureted thing of beauty
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford put it there, but do I need it

old55pete
My question would have to be, where did it come from? Fuel line? Heater hose? Vacume line? I could be wrong, and I hope someone will correct me, I dont think Ford ever put a manuel shut off valve anywhere on these pickups.

I understand that this is a motor home so I understand that it is no holds bared on stuff that you wouldent find in a pickup.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by 26ftcobraBBF
Where was it located?
Looks similar to a manual heater hose shutoff valve that was added by a PO to my 80.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
That was kinda my point Scott, glad Im not the only one.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha nope - we're on the same page. You just beat me to the posting

Good point though about RV's playing by their own rules.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It is a hot idle compensator, it adds extra air to the intake under high heat conditions, very common on carbureted engines. On Carter and Autolite carbs it was built in. AFB it was in the secondary area above the venturiis, Autolite it was on the air horn on the 4100, back portion of the air filter circle on the 2100 and in the secondary area air horn for the 4300. The 4300D, I don't remember where it was.

Apparently the MH builder either added it or it may have been standard on the cutaway E350 builds.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Bill!

Just did some reading up on those. So the handle looking thing isn't actually a handle but a bi-metallic strip that opens it up. Interesting.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
Thanks Bill!

Just did some reading up on those. So the handle looking thing isn't actually a handle but a bi-metallic strip that opens it up. Interesting.
Interesting eh? I've never heard of this part.

Some info about them on the Mustang boards (also a 1985).

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?182682-Hot-Idle-Compensator-Valve

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks Bill. I have never seen one of those before today( Or I have and dont remember). I learned something new today, thank you
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This was something asked about (being in the PCV line) a few months back.
I recall that discussion but have never seen one in the wild.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Search for Mystery Components [10/22/18]

Oct 22, 2018; 4:07pmRe: Mystery Components
85lebaront2

Administrator
3010 posts
First item is an air valve, used on A/C equipt vehicles to admit extra air into the intake under high temperature conditions, it is thermally controlled by a bimetal spring. Second was your choke hot air tube, but most of these engines didn't use a hot air choke, it was electric heated by the 7 volt stator feed from the alternator.
Bill Profile
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

LARIAT 85Reply | Threaded | More
Selected postOct 22, 2018; 5:28pmRe: Mystery Components

LARIAT 85
373 posts
This post was updated on Oct 22, 2018; 5:38pm.
In reply to this post by baddog8it
The first component is called a Hot Idle Compensator Valve (HICV on your emissions diagram.)  

When the engine is hot, the air/fuel mixture is richer than normal.  The HICV opens slightly to let in a little bit of air into the intake and below the throttle valve to lean out the mixture at idle to compensate for the richer mixture.

The second component looks like a broken choke tube.  Most Fords of this era used a thermostatic choke with electric assist.  If that plate is bolted to the intake manifold, a tube was originally inserted in it to operate the choke.  One end serves as a fresh air tube that connects to the carburetor air horn, the other a hot air tube that screws onto the choke assembly.  The choke works in lockstep with the coolant temperature.  As the coolant heats up, the tube also heats up and begins to open the choke.  Full operating temperature = fully opened choke.  (Small block engines used a chamber on the passenger's side exhaust manifold and uses the temperature of the exhaust to accomplish the same thing.)

You should also have a wire connecting the choke cap to the back of the alternator.  That would be the electric assist.  It only works above about 60 degrees to help the choke come off faster.

If the thermostatic choke isn't hooked up properly, you will have cold start problems if it temperatures are less than 60 degrees.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well sure.... October of 2018 was a few (26) months back.

Thanks for digging that up, David!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.