Ford Tailgate Lettering

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford Tailgate Lettering

JMUBullnose
Does anyone happen to have some of the Ford Tailgate letters for the '84 trucks? I know I can just order a set for ~$26 but my wife has a vinyl cutter and I want to actually do it myself with Oracal 651 vinyl.

I was hoping to find accurate (standardized) dimensions for the letters that won't potentially be wonky from my measuring on my own tailgate.  I suppose I could also just buy one of the NOS kits...but that kind of defeats the purpose of using what I have on hand!

And if folks are interested in it - I'm happy to supply lettering at cost once I have a good pattern.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford Tailgate Lettering

Rembrant
Your truck is a Styleside long or shortbox, correct?

I have an '84, but it's a Flareside. I will need tailgate letters at some point, but I'm not sure how long off that is yet.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Yeah - mine is Styleside - but if I get patterns I can make 'em for anything in any color that Oracal makes.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't have any and don't need them because I have the trim panels for my trucks.  But, I love the idea of having someone on here that can provide them in any color the vinyl comes in, which should cover most of the colors the trucks came in since the letters won't be directly against the other truck color.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
To that effect - I can do pretty much any cut out type of decal you can think of as well. I plan on doing a larger Ford Oval just to put on my tool box (But I may have to wait a bit on that - my wife is getting mad that I'm the one using her new 'toy' all the time!)
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary, that is how your Garagemahal sign was made.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Makes sense, David.  And, by the way, I LOVE IT!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Oooh - got a photo for the new comer?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's the best I can do w/o taking it down.  But I think it shows it well.  

And, here's where it is within the context of the others - top dog!  Thanks again, David.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Ooooh - that's nice!  Thanks for sharing!
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
I always paint them.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
PetesPonies wrote
I always paint them.
And that is how the factory did it. That is if it did not have the panel across the tail gate of the style sides.
Also if you look at factory painted letters you will see they don't have shape edges from tape.

I have not done this yet but what I found for painting letters, the factory roll painted on the letters.

A soft rubber roller, think I seen 4" wide, that they used in block printing is used.
For paint they used 1 shot pin striping paint. They put some on paper to pull out some of the liquid.
They then roll the roller thru to get paint on it then do a letter, get more paint on roller and next letter, etc.

They say to practice on the gate before you get paint on the gate so you have a clue how it works.
So if you feel artistic and want factory painted letters you now know how.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like that approach, Dave.  I'm hoping you'll document it when you do it so others can learn the technique.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I like that approach, Dave.  I'm hoping you'll document it when you do it so others can learn the technique.
I will, need to finish prepping the tail gate and get it in primer before I give this a try.

The 1 art supply store I hit did not have the right size roller, to skinny for my liking.
Will have the wife get one thru Amazon the next time she orders something.

The One Shot paint they say you can get thru Eastwood but will try my local auto paint supplier first when the time comes.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a plan.  We'll figure out a good place to put your how-to.