classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ford Electrical Connectors....ARGHHH!!!

Machspeed
Administrator
I detest these connectors, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to disconnect them? This is the connector that feeds my alternator and I'd really like to remove it and clean it up in there before I do the 3G alternator mod. Any tips on how to get this apart?

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ford Electrical Connectors....ARGHHH!!!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They are a PAIN!  And I frequently break a tab.

Anyway, on some of them you slip a really small screwdriver in an lever them apart. Pull on the wires as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I feel like I need three hands to do it. In fact, I'm bleeding right now from a smaller connecter I removed. It's never been taken apart, wondering if I could spray some PB Blaster in there to loosen it up?  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm bleeding right now from cleaning up an air inlet I needed to show someone how little room there is under the hood of these things, so I can sympathize with you.

A third, and even a fourth, hand would be handy (get it?) on these connectors.  They really are a pain.

As for PB Blaster, I doubt it'll help but I don't believe it'll hurt if you then clean the connector well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
I detest these connectors, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to disconnect them? This is the connector that feeds my alternator and I'd really like to remove it and clean it up in there before I do the 3G alternator mod. Any tips on how to get this apart?

That is the one connector I ended up deleting on my '84. Once I did get it apart, it was all corroded so I cut it off and wired everything back up without it.

But yes...they are no fun to pull apart, and I usually break them.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think I'd try anything with solvent, John.
If the plastic inside there starts to melt its going to be welded together.

Do you have any light oil or silicone spray with a straw?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Success! Before I posted I sprayed it with the stuff you clean electrical connectors with but it wouldn't budge. After my whining here and the application of a band aide, I went back out and sprayed the sucker with WD-40 and opened up the two clips with a couple of finish nails I use in my finish gun for trim. Dang thing easily pulled out. Concerned that the WD-40 would eat at the plastic, I quickly cleaned it with the electrical connector cleaner. Jim, think your're right about the PB Blaster. I read the can and it may have been a problem on that plastic. Didn't note any warning on the WD-40.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  I like the finish nail idea.  I've used small screwdrivers and they keep slipping, so I think I'll adopt your plan, Stan.

When you put them back together they should have some goo in there to prevent moisture from getting in.  I suspect dielectric grease would be the best, but I've used a very thin coat of aluminum-based anti-seize applied with a Q-Tip.  I just coat the male prongs and that seems to let things come apart easier next time as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Had planned to coat it with dilectric grease. I was really surprised how easy it came out after I sprayed it with WD-40. Not sure it was whole fully the lubricant but it sure did come out smoothly. Almost busted a knuckled against the valve cover pulling on it too hard.  

John

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Orignaly the meaning of WD in WD-40 was Water Despersing. I have seen it used in distrubiter caps to get the water out and get it to run.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Glad you got it!
It's crazy how much pulling effort it takes on some of those molded connectors.
The third certainty in life is that the split second after they separate your elbow will find the hardest thing within a 20ft radius.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
Glad you got it!
It's crazy how much pulling effort it takes on some of those molded connectors.
The third certainty in life is that the split second after they separate your elbow will find the hardest thing within a 20ft radius.
Yep, you know what I'm talking about!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator

That should be amended to say "or knuckles"
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
This thread .... I needed this about a year ago!! 🤣
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
lol part of me wished I could source brand new Ford connectors like that to blend my auxiliary fusebox in with my OE wiring under the hood, would make it way easier to make add on circuits look OE with the OE terminals.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You could pull them from another truck. The rear crossmember would give you a decent selection with some useable length on some of them.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
kramttocs wrote
You could pull them from another truck. The rear crossmember would give you a decent selection with some useable length on some of them.
Thats what I thought about but was really thinking more along the lines of ones that were not assembled to prevent having to crimp/solder the wires on.  Sort of like how I did my connectors for my driving lights, I crimped the weather seal terminals to the wires I made to length.

Probably will end up doing that anyways though, could always do a metal crimp with shrink wrap then cover the wire up.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
So the components that you want to wire in already have leads that aren't removable? I was thinking that if you can find a factory connector that has long enough wires on it you could remove whatever leads the component has and terminate the factory wire into it using whatever terminal type is needed.

If really going for the gold, you might be able to core out the factory connectors, find a way to hold the new terminals (and wires) in place,  and then epoxy around them. Filling up the connector. I don't know, nor thought about before now, how a molded connector like these are made.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
kramttocs wrote
So the components that you want to wire in already have leads that aren't removable? I was thinking that if you can find a factory connector that has long enough wires on it you could remove whatever leads the component has and terminate the factory wire into it using whatever terminal type is needed.

If really going for the gold, you might be able to core out the factory connectors, find a way to hold the new terminals (and wires) in place,  and then epoxy around them. Filling up the connector. I don't know, nor thought about before now, how a molded connector like these are made.
Im not sure how they are made but they are obviously still out there in new productions cause you buy a new Cardone Distributor and it has a brand new OE connector on the end making it plug and play.

Thats why I assumed that you should be able to find the OE style connectors bare for assembly yourself, Id have no problem assembling the connector then injecting epoxy around the back end to seal them.  Just would like for the connectors to look the same and not be a mismatch of 80s style connectors and modern day weatherproof connectors.

I have cored old terminals out before and attached new wires to them, I didnt core them persay as in drilling but used a small pick and gently opened the crimp up to pull the wire out.  This allows new wire to be laid down in the terminal and recrimped.  If the crimp doesnt seem to hold up that well then a drop of soldier would help with securing the connection.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The distributor connector is the one thing hard to find for a DSII harness.
Obviously, Painless has a source and rebuild companies can get the Dizzy side.
Motorcraft does have a compatible connector, if you are willing to remove the 'keys' that interfere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.