Flywheel....should I replace, reuse, or resurface?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flywheel....should I replace, reuse, or resurface?

Ray Cecil
Well, what do yall think?

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Flywheel....should I replace, reuse, or resurface?

Ray Cecil
Screw it. Im ordering a new flywheel. Rockauto will ship one to me for $62. Ill put it back together and not worry about it...

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Probably a good idea as that one has what look to be hard spots on it where it has gotten hot from slippage.  To use it I think it would need to be ground, and that might cost as much as that new one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray Cecil wrote
Screw it. Im ordering a new flywheel. Rockauto will ship one to me for $62. Ill put it back together and not worry about it...
I think that was a good idea.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, I have daily driven the truck with the clutch slipping, no doubt it got hot and changed the surface hardness.

The throw out bearing was toast. It was rattling when I removed it. Surprisingly, I didnt hear much bad noise coming from it.

Rear main seal is replaced as well as the pilot bearing. All I have to do is clean up, receive the new flywheel, and reassemble.

I must say it wasnt too bad getting it all apart. I think from start to end of dissassembly, maybe 3 hours. And that was with a lot of beer in me. Kinda dumb to man handle a transmission and transfer case out of a truck while slightly intoxicated. But, thats how this redneck does it in this redneckin side of the redneck woods.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
You’ll have a spare! Or a boat anchor!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Ray Cecil wrote
Well, what do yall think?
I think 33-year-old Ford assembly-line parts are better than new (mostly imported) replacements.  I'd get it resurfaced, if only to have as a spare if your new one gives you any trouble.

DON'T forget to seal the bolts' threads going into the crankshaft hub.  That's where most leaks attributed to the RMS actually come from.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Or a pedestal base for something like a bench grinder.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
I think 33-year-old Ford assembly-line parts are better than new (mostly imported) replacements.  I'd get it resurfaced, if only to have as a spare if your new one gives you any trouble.

DON'T forget to seal the bolts' threads going into the crankshaft hub.  That's where most leaks attributed to the RMS actually come from.
I'll throw it in the spare parts shed. I am ordering the LUK flywheel. From what others have said, and from what I have read they made the original Ford parts?

Anyway, I will post a few pictures on the Little Blue 82 thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't miss what Steve said about sealing the bolts!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Last time I had a flywheel Blanchard ground it cost me $100.

Screw that, when new is way less
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Don't miss what Steve said about sealing the bolts!
I saw that. Thanks for the reminder, and yes, I did not know that. So, saved me some trouble....thanks Steve!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Ray Cecil wrote
I am ordering the LUK flywheel. ...they made the original Ford parts?
Yes, that's my understanding, too.  So that's a good price for a good part.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
This cost me ~$30, but the machinist is a friend:

I've had it Blanchard-ground before, and I can't tell a difference in the way it drives or engages being surface-ground this way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I saw a guy on youtube who "blanchard" grinds his cylinder heads with a thick piece of glass with sandpaper duct tapped to it. Just sits the cylinder head on the glass and moves it back and forth.....its a lot of work, and not perfect, but for something that isnt out of flatness very much, it works.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The 'guy on YouTube' is not ANYWHERE CLOSE to Blanchard grinding anything.
And if he suggests he is, then he needs someone to explain it to him.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, I think he is just taking known good cylinder heads and redneck decking the head. Yes, its not decked right, but it is a similar approach as blanchard grinding....

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ray,
Lapping a head (or other flat surface) in with either compound or sheet abrasive and a known flat surface (like a surface plate, or an actual lapping plate) is a perfectly acceptable practice.
But it is NOT Blanchard grinding, or anything even close.

Blanchard grinding removes considerable metal in order to present a NEW and TRUE surface.
It's nothing like lapping, conventional surface grinding, scraping, milling, planing, shapering.or whatever process you choose to get to an acceptably flat surface.

Call it lapping (what it is) that's fine.
But whatever bozo goes around the interwebz claiming it's anything like what you would do to resurface a flywheel needs to stop being such an idiot.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Take a deep breath Jim. Its ok.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
This cost me ~$30, but the machinist is a friend:
This is what I was expecting.  ðŸ˜ž

Unfortunately, M&B Machine changed hands. Mike is gone and Darryl is dead.

Those guys who did me right for decades for a six pack, doing donuts & burnouts on Halloween Blvd are no more.
The world keeps changing.
 Jim,