Florida noobie!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Florida noobie!

Kojack
Hey y'all, first time forum user so don't crucify me if anything is incorrect. I'm from FL and I have an 85 f150 SWB 4x4, originally a 300ci 6cyl (now a 351w) paired to the NP435 with the NP205 (I believe). The truck HAD air from the factory, unfortunately, I bought it dirt cheap ($600) when I was 17 because someone had converted it to be their play toy. Unlike my father and grandfather, I only seen a solid starting point to build a decent enough driving around rig. The truck had been completely tore apart, with virtually nothing besides a frame, drive train, body, and what's left of the interior and for the next year or so I got it to the point that it would run and drive (barely). I put a LOT of blood sweat and tears into it, until finally I burned out and gave up on her, fast forward to now, im 24, i drive a 2001 super duty and diesel prices and maintainance are slowly hemorrhaging my wallet. She's currently sitting at a friend of mine's. But here within the next couple weeks I plan on cranking her back to life, putting her on a trailer and bringing her home to finish what I started 5 years ago. I'm very excited about it, I can't stop thinking about all the things I want out of this truck and I'm spiraling down the ol' rabbit hole. Anyways, I can't never seem to find clear enough information through Google about these older rigs, so here I am. I have a multitude of questions and I'm sure y'all will be absolutely sick and tired of hearing from me. Nonetheless, I'm happy to be here with folks that know their way around the bullnose, and I look forward to digging in. I named her Violet, btw.
Violet: 1985 f-150 standard cab swb 4x4 351w NP435 combo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Florida noobie!

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to you & Violet!  

We have a lot of knowledgeable members and documentation.
I'm pretty sure we can help you figure it out.
Duraspark systems are pretty simple.

The Kojack thing.....I can't help seeing you sucking a Tootsie Pop.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Welcome to you & Violet!  

We have a lot of knowledgeable members and documentation.
I'm pretty sure we can help you figure it out.
Duraspark systems are pretty simple.

The Kojack thing.....I can't help seeing you sucking a Tootsie Pop.  
Thanks! I have no such ignition system. The dipstick that installed the 351 prior to me went with points, which I'm not complaining about. The simplicity was appreciated, especially by the 17yo version of me.

I do enjoy a tootsie pop every now and again!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Points are simple. I just don't like looking after them.

With a setup like that we're going to have to dig up a schematic from the very early 1970's.

Gary will be along to ask if you'd like him to add you to our members map.

If you have questions it's best to start a new topic on the main page.
If you want to document your progress start a thread in the Projects heading.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Points are simple. I just don't like looking after them.

With a setup like that we're going to have to dig up a schematic from the very early 1970's.

Gary will be along to ask if you'd like him to add you to our members map.

If you have questions it's best to start a new topic on the main page.
If you want to document your progress start a thread in the Projects heading.
Members map, is that like a contact book? I truly know nothing about forums except how to chat back and forth.

I totally agree about points. I've been flirting with the idea of HEI and even the holley sniper kit, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. Starting a thread sounds fun, I'll definitely give that a shot! There's a lot that could be done, the truck is bare bones, I was genuinely surprised that any of the lights even operated.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In the Bullnose Forum drop-down at the upper left of the page you'll see "members map"
You can see where members are (those that choose to be there)

There's nothing wrong with a Pertronix module to replace points and leave the rest, if it's functional.

HEI is the all-in-one solution, but you really need a relay and dedicated power circuit.
Those GM modules are power hungry.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
ArdWrknTrk wrote
In the Bullnose Forum drop-down at the upper left of the page you'll see "members map"
You can see where members are (those that choose to be there)

There's nothing wrong with a Pertronix module to replace points and leave the rest, if it's functional.

HEI is the all-in-one solution, but you really need a relay and dedicated power circuit.
Those GM modules are power hungry.
Hm, I'll look into the pertronix, never heard of that. I'm just praying she'll fire up so I don't have to bust out the come along. Maybe if i play two dozen roses and give her a squirt of fresh fuel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If it's been 7 years I'd expect you need a new battery.
Bring a little fresh fuel and a way to get it down the vent tube of the carb.

If it ran before it should run now (short of being seized or something)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Kojack
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E