classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flareside wheel arch trim?

Ford F834
Administrator
I came across this photo on Facebook and noticed that the rear fenders have some wheel opening/arch trim. I’ve never seen that before on the fiberglass flares. Does the style side trim fit? Is this perhaps aftermarket? Looks a bit odd to me (as in I don’t much care for it) but it did get my curiosity going...

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Flareside wheel arch trim?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interestingly, the catalog differentiates the moulding by cab style not bed style.  So, from what I can see in there a Flareside could have the trim just like a Styleside.  But, I do agree with you that there's something odd about it.

I'll check the dealer's fact book in a bit and see if a Flareside could be ordered with it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, Flaresides didn't get the wheel lip moulding - at least not in '84.  The page below is from Ford's 1984 Light Truck Data Book, which is different than the 1984 Truck Facts Book - and I have both.  As you can see, the wheel lip moulding is conspicuous by its absence in the Flareside section.  

And, you might say "Well, the XL Flaresides didn't get wheel lip mouldings, but what about the XLT Flaresides?"  The next page says "XLT available w/single rear wheel Styleside only.  N.A. w/Flareside, DRW Styleside or Chassis Cab."

So, this begs the question of where I should put the "standard features" and "optional trim levels" info on the website.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for posting this, Gary.  I was looking for a definitive list of the trim in the '84 XL and lo and behold, here it is!  Thanks!

- Chris
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, that's just the optional list.  I also have the standard list for the various trim levels for each cab type (regular, super, crew, etc).  But, I don't know where to put that info on the website, so if you'd help me figure that out maybe I could add that info.

It looks to me like the best place is in Specifications.  What do you think?

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Oh yeah, you're right.  I guess it so happens that the truck was fully loaded then!

Yep, Specifications makes sense to me as well.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
I came across this photo on Facebook and noticed that the rear fenders have some wheel opening/arch trim. I’ve never seen that before on the fiberglass flares. Does the style side trim fit? Is this perhaps aftermarket? Looks a bit odd to me (as in I don’t much care for it) but it did get my curiosity going...
That picture caught my eye on FB as well, for the same reason. I figured they were added on after the fact...maybe even factory pieces, just not originally from this particular truck.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Well, it was too easy to miss, so I created a page for it: Specifications/Standard Features And Options.  Currently it only has the 1984 info, but it is a start.  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Wheel moldings were not offered on Flareside, (even aftermarket Bushwacker fender flares not offered, But I did install "styleside" flares onto my Flareside (in '86)" by drilling through the fiberglass fenders... (very scary at the time)
There is no wheel well lip, therefor nowhere for the mounting screws, just a thin fiberglass wall.
XLT trim was not offered on Flareside, you wont find the side moldings either cause of the bed fenders ….
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks