38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flareside Tail Lights

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to approach replacing the Tail Lights on my '84 Flareside.

I'm specifically looking for a replacement for E0TZ-13405-B (LH) and E0TZ-13404-B (RH).  The right hand one seems relatively easy to find on the market, but E0TZ-13405-B seems to be near impossible.

My truck bumper has the license plate in the center, not underneath the LH tail light so I don't need a LH tail light that has the clear lens on the bottom to illuminate the license plate.  

Aftermarket lights that have side markers and no clear lens on the LH bottom don't seem to exist. I've looked at some Grote options and they are close, but either don't have the side markers or they have the clear lens on the bottom of the LH light.

I guess I'm being too picky trying to find a light that is identical to the originals, but that's the goal of my restoration where possible.

Ideas?  Hacks or mods I can make to other lights?  (I guess I can just tape over the clear lens, but that's not my preferred approach)

Thanks!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Flareside Tail Lights

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for looking, I'll take any and all help! :)

The LMC link is so close, if only they had the housings themselves!
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ckuske
Just curious, but what is wrong with the original housings? Are they damaged or are you just wanting new ones as part of the restoration?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Rembrandt -

First of all, the pic of your truck is great!  The original housings are long gone, there are aftermarket ones (these https://www.rpru.com/ford-truck-left-driver-side-tail-light-lens-and-housing/c34p5403) installed currently by a previous owner.

But they have the clear lens on the LH and are broken also (damaged when I bought the truck) so I need replacements either way.    Either the originals which seems to be almost impossible, or something as similar as I can get.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ahh...OK, understood! I just went and had a look at my 1984 Flareside tail lights....I honestly hadn't looked very closely at them before. I had been thinking of replacing mine with the LED ones, but like you I've kinda wanted to keep the originals.

I know where there are a few of these trucks parked, so I'll check and see if the lights are decent on any of them. One of them for sure has the other style lights (there were two different Flareside ones), so it isn't the same as your '84. However, these trucks are not close by, so I don't know when or how soon I can get a look at them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Rembrandt, That'd be great, thanks!  I'm not in a rush, so please don't go out of your way just for this.  I really appreciate it when you do get around to it though!  If I just had the housings, I could rebuild them from there using other parts (like from that LMC link)

Just curious (when you get a chance)... is there a Grote part number on the back side somewhere on your truck?  There's no clear lens on the bottom of the LH side?   Sorry, I'm kinda going off memory here... long story but I bought the truck back last year after selling it about 16 years ago (my dad was the original owner) and my memory is sometimes fuzzy on what was really there originally...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Hi there,

I went down this rabbit hole last year, and although I ended up going with some Grote LED's (non-Ford-specific connectors), I recorded most the info as I was comparing and contrasting.  Whatever you decide on, you're on the right track by getting part numbers, which will allow you to  verify and compare offerings.  I found quite a range in prices between LMC, NPD, Grote direct, Granger and Amazon.  I'll dig a little and see if I can find my notes.

(Edit)  I haven't looked for my notes yet, but I went to Shelf-o-Parts and realized I still have the original Grote pod with Ford's stamp on the back.  No Ford part number, but it's Grote Model 5096, and although it's marked "RH" for right-hand, they are interchangeable, and it has a side marker and no license light.

If you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.  Fair warning, the leads are clipped close to the housing, but that's a pretty easy fix.  There's a small nick out of the side marker (but no  white light leakage), the lens is intact, and the housing is in good shape, if a bit of a patina from 35 years on the truck.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Cory,

I struggled with deciding on LED vs original incandescent, and in going with the former, couldn't be more pleased.  The current draw is much lower, the lights much brighter (the reverse lights are so good I can navigate from the rear view after the sun goes down), and the Grotes are so well potted, I don't think vibration will ever be a cause for failure.

On the down side, at the time I shopped, Grote's Ford connectors were only offered on their incandescent model.  Also, their wire color scheme was different for the LED's.  Neither was an issue for me as I had to untangle and re-loom a mess for a trailer hack the PO had made.  There's a thread entry somewhere on here with those details.  Also, you lose some of the "warmth" of the fade in the on-off signal cycle with a no-load relay in the fuse panel.  There are solutions for that, though too, with some no-load signal relays now for LED's that emulate the warm-fade incandescent cycle (or even offer a custom flash pattern).  You'll need to replace the hazard relay, too if you go with an LED option.

For the collective wisdom, the Grote (OEM manufacturer) LED options are:

Grote G5212 Hi Count LED Box Lamp  (Left side with license light)

Grote G5202 Hi Count LED Box Lamp

I've got a funny video of one one of my girls helping me secure the ground as the initial operations gave some unexpected results.

(Both have the DOT-required side markers)

edit- one more resource for the collective mental database- Grote's collection of stop/tail/turn :  https://www.grote.com/product-category/stop-tail-turn-lights/

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ckuske wrote
Just curious (when you get a chance)... is there a Grote part number on the back side somewhere on your truck?  There's no clear lens on the bottom of the LH side?   Sorry, I'm kinda going off memory here... long story but I bought the truck back last year after selling it about 16 years ago (my dad was the original owner) and my memory is sometimes fuzzy on what was really there originally...
Yes sir, there sure is a Grote number....and a Ford logo right next to it. Ignore the grungy appearance and paint over spray all over everything. The truck needs a paint job badly.

They do not have the bottom lens on either side. Just solid black plastic.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
Cory,

I struggled with deciding on LED vs original incandescent, and in going with the former, couldn't be more pleased.  The current draw is much lower, the lights much brighter (the reverse lights are so good I can navigate from the rear view after the sun goes down), and the Grotes are so well potted, I don't think vibration will ever be a cause for failure.

On the down side, at the time I shopped, Grote's Ford connectors were only offered on their incandescent model.  Also, their wire color scheme was different for the LED's.  Neither was an issue for me as I had to untangle and re-loom a mess for a trailer hack the PO had made.  There's a thread entry somewhere on here with those details.  Also, you lose some of the "warmth" of the fade in the on-off signal cycle with a no-load relay in the fuse panel.  There are solutions for that, though too, with some no-load signal relays now for LED's that emulate the warm-fade incandescent cycle (or even offer a custom flash pattern).  You'll need to replace the hazard relay, too if you go with an LED option.

For the collective wisdom, the Grote (OEM manufacturer) LED options are:

Grote G5212 Hi Count LED Box Lamp  (Left side with license light)

Grote G5202 Hi Count LED Box Lamp

I've got a funny video of one one of my girls helping me secure the ground as the initial operations gave some unexpected results.

(Both have the DOT-required side markers)
Thank you for this information Dyn! Great stuff. I'll admit that tail light replacements are pretty low on my priority list right now, but I have been eyeing up the LED ones (in my mental wish list).

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Dyn!  I'll message you to work out the details, I'll take what I can find haha!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks to both of you!  Thanks for the pictures too, Rembrandt.  Super helpful.  There's lots of conflicting pictures and parts out there that say they are the real deal but aren't, so it's hard after awhile to know what's what.  I'll start with Dyn's offer and post when I have an update.  It's great that everyone helps each other out on this board, I for one appreciate it!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Ford+chassis+cab+tail+lights+NOS&_sacat=6028

All seem to be the same with clear plastic on the bottom. Instead of using black tape, as mentioned earlier, what about painting [either inside over the clear area or a uniform coating on the outside]?
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Can any of you experts out there point me in the right direction to buy new pigtails from the lamp assembly to the connectors underneath the truck?  

It looks like it is fairly easy to put a new lamp socket and pigtail into an existing lamp assembly.  I think I'm still adjusting being back to work after the Thanksgiving weekend, but most of the sockets I seem to be finding on the net don't seem to take the backup light socket into account as well.  I just may be mis-remembering though, as I don't have the parts with me at the moment.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I replaced the lights on my '82 Flareside. As far as the clear lens on the bottom . . just paint it. The hardest part is the wiring and where it exits the light. I was able to work around it, but that was the trickiest part.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.  I've found two original assemblies, but the wires were snipped right outside the housing so I need to replace this wiring.  I've found this, but I'm not sure if this is right as there doesn't seem to be a provision to get power to the backup light socket...

http://dennis-carpenter.com/taiilight-pigtail/p/B6C-13410-A/
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Why not use the original pigtails from the lights you're replacing?  There's usually some slack available, and you'd get to keep the connectors to the harness.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I decided to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one on a related topic:

I was looking for some instrument LED's for a motorcycle project, and came across an offering for the Ford/Grote-style pods for the flaresides at the least expensive price point I've encountered from a reputable company.  

No affiliations with the vendor, but they've always been great for service and warranty.  Their offering has a single choice for the license light, but for the cost, it's a bargain for those that aren't concerned with having the Grote brand on their ride:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/trailer-tail-brake-turn/multi-function-led-truck-and-trailer-lights-combo-box-universal-mount-led-braketurntail-lights-pigtail-connector/567/1775/
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Those are nice, and half the price of others I've seen. Thanks for sharing this, Dyn
Chris