classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fixing loose Type 9 side mirrors

JMUBullnose
Hi all -
I figure at least a few of you guys have encountered this - my Type 9 Side mirrors are loose as all get out where the mirror itself meets the frame (ball mount that the mirror pivots on). Is there a way to fix this? Once I set them to start driving, they're good but if you close the door or hit a pot hole, they point wherever they see fit!

Was wondering if I could disassemble them and somehow repair that pivot point.

Cheers!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fixing loose Type 9 side mirrors

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Type 9!  There's a man that's done his homework.  

I have some of those, and many of them have the same problem.  Over time I've thought of tightening that pivot up, but I haven't found a way to do it.  I don't see a way to take the mirror apart w/o just breaking the glass.

However, I've wondered if either dusting the pivot with something that would cause things to bind up a bit.  But I've not figured out what to use for that purpose.  A really fine grit might work, but it is abrasive so a number of adjustments will cause the ball to degrade and/or seize.  

Or, if it was clean then maybe Loctite?  You'd have to drip some in, probably by having the mirror off, then quickly mount the mirror and position it before the Loctite sets up.

Anyway, if you figure it out please let us know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
I'm having this problem as well.   I was thinking about trying to dust with either a rubber or soft plastic compound using a file or something similar to a kitchen grader.  It will have to get really fine but i'll give it a try, hopefully this coming weekend.
Oh,  any thoughts as to where to get replacement gaskets for this type 9 mirrors?  I've also seen different mounts as mine has on the top mount, screws that are on top....

'81 Custom F-100 I6, Style Side, A/C
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I'd try Loctite, like blue, before I ground something up.

As for the gasket, I'll see if I can find them......

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Added the gaskets to Exterior/Exterior Mirrors on the part #'s tag.  Perhaps you can find a NOS set?

Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
Thanks for the part # listings.  I'll start looking for them.  Seems the 3 bolt upper is a lot more common than the 2 bolt.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
As a reference - I took a photo of the internals of a busted one when I was at the auto yard last. I have a feeling that the main spring in the middle is not applying enough force anymore. If I knew of a good way to take apart a set and investigate, I would.

(PS - hopefully this image works better than the last one I uploaded...)
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by rthenry145
rthenry145 wrote
Oh,  any thoughts as to where to get replacement gaskets for this type 9 mirrors?  I've also seen different mounts as mine has on the top mount, screws that are on top....

Are you looking only for NOS? I think I might have 2 used ones, which I planned to bring to Skiatook in September. Mine would be serviceable, but would be of advantage only if yours are cracked or missing.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
I'm thinking about down the road when I can get a paint job performed and my initial concern is when I take these mirrors off the gaskets will crumble...  So I'm trying to get prepared to replace the gaskets and to that end searching for a set (upper lower) for both RH & LH.   I do appreciate your response and if you think yours would server this purpose I am interested!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Perhaps check out the aftermarket offerings at LMC and NPD.  Their reproduction mirrors come as a kit, and the dual position mirror gasket base was a direct overlay match for the original on my truck.  I don't know their policy on selling parts of a kit, but they've been pretty flexible with me on similar requests in the past.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
With a new paint job, new would look the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
:)  yep!  

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
With a new paint job, new would look the best.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fixing-loose-Type-9-side-mirrors-tp7569p13461.html
To unsubscribe from Fixing loose Type 9 side mirrors, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
rthenry145 wrote
...my initial concern is when I take these mirrors off the gaskets will crumble.
I've pulled a BUNCH of those mirrors over the years, and I've never had that plastic come apart, no matter how faded it was.  And a few shots of Krylon Fusion black will fix the fading for at least a decade or 2 (if you wash the plastic thoroughly first).

Bubble-back mirrors are glued together, so disassembly w/o damage is VERY difficult.

I've noticed that it's very easy to confuse several types of mirror...
Factory bubble-back mirrors are distinguished by their plastic lip between the glass & back wrapping over the sharp edge of the back; and by the countersunk Torx screw holding the mirror post onto the arm.  Aftermarket copies use a hex bolt, and glue the glass directly to the back (no black visible between them).  Aftermarkets also typically have 3 screws clamping the head to the swivel ball; factory has either nothing visible, or 3 small rivets.

Mirrors mounted with 3 bolts at the top & bottom of the arm are 2-position trailering mirrors, but many people don't notice the 2-position functionality because it's so subtle:

Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
Hey Steve83,
Thanks for the feedback...  I'll not be so OCD about the plastic pieces.  haha  Good advice just to clean them up and paint them.
What's your thoughts on getting the mirror to stay in position?  I have the single position type.

Best regards,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM Steve83 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
rthenry145 wrote
...my initial concern is when I take these mirrors off the gaskets will crumble.
I've pulled a BUNCH of those mirrors over the years, and I've never had that plastic come apart, no matter how faded it was.  And a few shots of Krylon Fusion black will fix the fading for at least a decade or 2 (if you wash the plastic thoroughly first).

Bubble-back mirrors are glued together, so disassembly w/o damage is VERY difficult.

I've noticed that it's very easy to confuse several types of mirror...
Factory bubble-back mirrors are distinguished by their plastic lip between the glass & back wrapping over the sharp edge of the back; and by the countersunk Torx screw holding the mirror post onto the arm.  Aftermarket copies use a hex bolt, and glue the glass directly to the back (no black visible between them).  Aftermarkets also typically have 3 screws clamping the head to the swivel ball; factory has either nothing visible, or 3 small rivets.

Mirrors mounted with 3 bolts at the top & bottom of the arm are 2-position trailering mirrors, but many people don't notice the 2-position functionality because it's so subtle:

Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fixing-loose-Type-9-side-mirrors-tp7569p14086.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
rthenry145 wrote
What's your thoughts on getting the mirror to stay in position?
I've never been able to make loose ones tight again - Ford or aftermarket.  For a while, I just kept swapping to better JY mirrors.  Then I swapped to the later flag-mount power mirrors.  They're more fragile when you mash them against trees (if you're into that sort of thing), but they're also more-common, more available (new), more repairable, more modifiable, more improvable, and more functional (because they're powered, so it's easy to re-adjust them).  There are more pics in that photo album showing what I did to mount the later mirrors, and how to disassemble & improve them (heat, memory, turn signals...).
Reply | Threaded
|

rthenry145
Ok gotcha,   as always thanks to the forum members for the conversations.  Oh, i forgot to mention that I several weeks back I called LMD, and another vendor I saw on Amazon selling the mirrors.  In both cases the young assistants didn't have a clue as how to answer my question of just wanting the kit that went with the mirrors, not the mirrors themselves.   I guess to further pursue I would need to write to them and explain my request and hope to get a more seasoned sales rep...

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM Steve83 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
rthenry145 wrote
What's your thoughts on getting the mirror to stay in position?
I've never been able to make loose ones tight again - Ford or aftermarket.  For a while, I just kept swapping to better JY mirrors.  Then I swapped to the later flag-mount power mirrors.  They're more fragile when you mash them against trees (if you're into that sort of thing), but they're also more-common, more repairable, more modifiable, more improvable, and more functional (because they're powered, so it's easy to re-adjust them).  There are more pics in that photo album showing what I did to mount the later mirrors, and how to disassemble & improve them (heat, memory, turn signals...).
Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fixing-loose-Type-9-side-mirrors-tp7569p14108.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator