First Ford

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First Ford

hubcityford
I’m in Hattiesburg, MS and decided to get my wife’s grandfather’s truck running (hopefully). I can change oil, battery, etc but never tried anything like this. It was last driven maybe 15 yrs ago. Nothing was wrong with it, just got forgotten and neglected. It has been sitting in her uncle’s garage. Bought a Haynes book and just starting my research. Trying to determine how to best approach this project. Any help, advice, warnings, prayers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: First Ford

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  That’s a good endeavor and I’m sure you can do it. But you’ll want to start a thread in the main section to get the most help as that’s where the bulk of the members look.

We have a member’s map (Bullnose Forum/Member’s Map in the menu) and I’d be happy to add you if you’d like.

A warning is that Haynes is generally good, but doesn’t get into specifics. However, we have a lot of the sections from the factory shop manual on here and they are much better on the specifics. And if you don’t find what you are looking for let me know.

After all this time the gas will be bad, and the tank may be as well. Don’t try to salvage the tank as a new one is about $100 and saves a lot of headaches.

As for starting the engine, I would pull the distributor and reach down with a long extension and socket, all taped together so they can’t separate, and turn the oil pump to prime the oil system and lube the bearings. But after changing the oil.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
Thanks!

I am also new to forums and assumed I was in main section. I will repost in there.

Please feel free to put me on map...Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39402

J
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by hubcityford
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

As for being new to forums, no worries as we don't have any rules about where you can post.  But typically this New Members section is for introductions and the main section is used for threads about our trucks.  (Then there's the Projects section, which is kind of confusing.)

You signed your post as "J".  We like using names here, although it isn't necessary.  But if you'd like to add a name to your signature it might be easier to respond with a name than typing hubcityford each time.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Mine is a first time too. If you got a bit of handiness and the willingness to do it, and can take a breath when it gets bad, you will do alright. There is a TON of knowledge and help on this forum.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew