Finished the cab steps today

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Finished the cab steps today

Hamm0ckjames
Been working on building these cab steps for my 1986 F150. $45.00 bucks in steel and some old horse shoes. Came out halfway decent. I welded them to the channel under the doors instead of bolting them on, I wanted something strong and some steps that won"t rattle loose. Used 1x1\8 inch square tubing and some old expanded metal under the shoes. The steps are 20" wide by 5 1\2 deep, mounted 5 inches below the under door channel. I originally priced some 18" super Hoop steps, but decided I did't want to spend a $160.00. Would appreciate some input from y'all about these. looking for different ideas in case I make some of these for our ranch pickups. Thank you.

New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Finished the cab steps today

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure I understand how they are attached.  You said they are "welded them to the channel under the doors".  But then you said they are "mounted 5 inches below the under door channel".  So are there uprights not shown in the first pic that are welded to the truck?  And how do they attach on the inner end?

I'm just wondering if there's a way to make them solid w/o welding to the truck?

Also, how do they feel when you step on them?  I'm wondering if the horseshoes make them tricky to step on.

Oh yes, I like the looks!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I like them!

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Howdy Gary.
Yes there's an 6 1\2 inch up right on each end, doubled 1 inch square tube, welded to an inverted 1 1\2 x 1\8 x 22 inch long piece of angle iron that is welded to the pinch welded seam of the door channel and floor pan. under the door channel is a 3/4 x 1\8 inch 22 inch long angle iron with two 1 x 1\8 square tubing kicker back brace welded to the double uprights.

I could have bolted them into place but decided to weld them in place so they won't rattle loose on any of our rough ranch dirt roads. If I ever do need to remove these I can always use a smoke wrench.....lol

I'll go out and see if I can get a underside picture for you before it gets too dark out side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Howdy Gary,
Here's a couple underside pictures. And yes, I jumped up and down on them, The step's survived the 240lb gorilla test.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by salans7
Thank you,,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hamm0ckjames
Those look STOUT!  Well done.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Thank you,
Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
Looking good, only problem is, a couple of horses going around barefoot.
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4