classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Finding 10 BDC for timing?

jstone4646
This post was updated on .
How can you go about finding 10 BDC for setting timing on a harmonic balancer that is completely unreadable?  I found TDC of the compression stroke using the thumb method to ensure compression then sticking a small screwdriver in the hole until it topped out completely but the notches/numbers on the crank balancer are non existent or just lost in rust.  Any ideas?  I tried lightly wire brushing the balancer where the numbers should be based on where I found #1 TDC but no luck finding anything so far.  I would prefer not tearing the top half of the motor down if I can help it, but will do so if that is the only good option.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Finding 10 BDC for timing?

Rembrant
Can you get the balancer cleaned off enough to get tape to stick to it?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-163594

I had to sand mine down with sand paper to see the original numbers/notches, and then used a silver Sharpie pen to mark zero degrees. That did the trick. They're hard to read even when they're new...I used the same Sharpie pen even on my new balancer.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, the timing tape is the easiest.  But if you good with match you can measure the circumference of the balancer and then determine how far each degree is and lay it out.

Also, I think some of the small blocks had a pointer on one side and some had it on the other, so you might check both sides.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jstone4646
jstone4646 wrote
How can you go about finding 10 BDC for setting timing on a harmonic balancer that is completely unreadable?
Use the wire brush or sand paper from below with the engine idling.  Just don't let anything get tangled in the fan or belts.  Also read the bottom half of this caption:

This shows the later V8 timing scale & pointer: