Finally brought the bullnose home

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Finally brought the bullnose home

Jochen1964
Mein Laster Today I finalized the deal and brought this beauty home. It is a 1986 F150 XL, sgl. cab, short box, 5.0 L EFI, 4 WD. You might have followed my story in the new members folder: It took the last 5 weeks to register her here in Germany for the first time. She spent most of her life in Virginia and was shipped Rotterdam (the Netherlands) in February / March this year to be transferred to Germany to the location of the importer / seller. The seller had to rebuilt some elements (yellow turning lights, etc.), get it in front of the German technical inspection group (TÜV) for a full technical compliance check to receive the German paperwork to be finally able to register her here in Germany. She is now registered in the Koblenz area and I will re-register here in my area next Monday. Then I should be able to fully enjoy driving her until the next technical inspection required in two years time Given that she is 32 years old and in good condition she qualifies for a H (historical) registration which makes life easier with our emission restricted areas (mainly city centers). I was also able to get an Oldtimer Insurance which is based on her market value and not on her time value. This was somewhat difficult because the insurers pre-requisite is a locked overnight parking place, ideally a garage. The big thing however does´t fit into a standard sized German garage. Luckily I found an insurer with an exception. All in all I am now a happy man and look forward to many miles with a smile in my face when cruising the area. Will keep you posted
Mein Laster: 1986 Ford F150 XL, 4WD, sgl cab, short bed, 302 EFI
Meine Katze: KTM 890 SMT
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Finally brought the bullnose home

Gary Lewis
Administrator
CONGRATULATIONS!!!    That's very good news!

And, it is a very nice looking truck.  Is there anything you have to do to it, or is it just enjoy?

And, I understand "vice", although mine is sometimes called an obsession.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Jochen1964
Congratulation. Very nice looking truck. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and details.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That is a great truck! I bet it feels good to finally take possession of it and have it legal to use. I’m sure you will enjoy it!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Rally love the short-beds..
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
In reply to this post by Rembrant

here are a few more images for the details. The truck is actually well maintained and I guess somewhat re-stored although I don´t have any documented evidence for this. Nothing to do in my view other than enjoying the ride and keeping the fluids on level. Hopefully no surprises here.

I guess though that I will upgrade the headlights if possible and need to check the lights in the Odometer and Gauges since that area is very dark after sunset despite turning the dimmer as much as possible. So if anybody has recommendations or something to share to put Xenon or LEDs into the headlights I would appreciate your input.
I am also after a campershell or hardtop for the short box. If there is any out there in good condition and for sale please let me know. Other than that no plans or projects yet.

Gary, I am impressed with your German language skills. Yes it is a "vice" but also a short form for truck, actually a play with words. Guess this is why people say that German is difficult. Das Laster is a vice and Der Laster is jargon for Lastkraftwagen which is a truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Love the truck!  The short-beds just look so nice, well proportioned.  And that one looks really clean.  I'm not sure it has been restored, just very well maintained.  

On lighting upgrades, I have a thread on that called, oddly enough, Lighting Upgrades.

But that doesn't speak to the dash/instrument lighting, and that is covered a bit in the thread Conversation With Bill O'Neil - Mr HiPo Parts.  I've not gotten the LED samples from Bill yet so can't tell you how good they are.  However, I will remind him and see if I can get them to test and let y'all know.  I think white ones would be preferable to the blue ones I currently have, and his that are designed for "around" lighting rather than "projecting" should be the best way to go.

As for the German, thanks for the clarification.  I no just enough to get me into trouble, but am happy to learn.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Jochen1964 wrote
Well done. What size are the tires? 235/75 or 31x10.50?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Beautiful Truck! Gratuliere!  I remember how difficult it was to pass inspections in Germany when I lived in Spangdahlem for four years.  My deutsche is lacking since I haven't used it in 10+ years.

I've done lighting an LED upgrade to the headlights, all exterior and the whole interior.

If you run into a snag or have questions, just ask.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Finally brought the bullnose home

Jochen1964

Sounds that you have been here with the airforce / army and were located in my favorite motorbiking area, the Eifel. A bit abandoned but beautiful and full of curves, bends, ups and downs.

Regarding the LED upgrade: Did you completely replace the reflector and bulb with a kit like this (http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=78) or did you replace the bulb only? Any mods required for the power supply?

For the other lights I would be interested to get some insight and details on the what and how.

Thanks in advance

Jochen

From: Pebcak [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] [mailto:ml+[hidden email]]
Sent: Montag, 16. April 2018 17:32
To: Tillmann, Jochen [CONDE] <[hidden email]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Finally brought the bullnose home

Beautiful Truck! Gratuliere!  I remember how difficult it was to pass inspections in Germany when I lived in Spangdahlem for four years.  My deutsche is lacking since I haven't used it in 10+ years.

I've done lighting an LED upgrade to the headlights, all exterior and the whole interior.

If you run into a snag or have questions, just ask. Image removed by sender.

"Daily Driver" 1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, Edelbrock Carb swapped from the Holley

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-tp9865p9948.html

To unsubscribe from Finally brought the bullnose home, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
In reply to this post by Rembrant

31 x 10.5 R15

From: Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] [mailto:ml+[hidden email]]
Sent: Montag, 16. April 2018 17:25

Jochen1964 wrote

Well done. What size are the tires? 235/75 or 31x10.50?

In rehab: 1984 F150 2wd Flareside pickup. Original 302 2bbl DSII w/3-spd manual column shift. Plain Jane with no A/C and no radio.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-tp9865p9946.html

NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Jochen1964
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Thanks Gary, pls keep me posted on the dashboard LEDs. I am very interested and I am a bit in a rush here given that I am almost flying blind in the dark currently.

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] [mailto:ml+[hidden email]]
Sent: Montag, 16. April 2018 16:45

Love the truck!  The short-beds just look so nice, well proportioned.  And that one looks really clean.  I'm not sure it has been restored, just very well maintained.  

On lighting upgrades, I have a thread on that called, oddly enough, Lighting Upgrades.

But that doesn't speak to the dash/instrument lighting, and that is covered a bit in the thread Conversation With Bill O'Neil - Mr HiPo Parts.  I've not gotten the LED samples from Bill yet so can't tell you how good they are.  However, I will remind him and see if I can get them to test and let y'all know.  I think white ones would be preferable to the blue ones I currently have, and his that are designed for "around" lighting rather than "projecting" should be the best way to go.

As for the German, thanks for the clarification.  I no just enough to get me into trouble, but am happy to learn.  Image removed by sender.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Finally-brought-the-bullnose-home-tp9865p9944.html

NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jochen - What many of us have done is to remove the cluster and take out the blue filters that create blue light from incandescent bulbs.  They tend to become opaque over time and reduce the amount of light that they pass.  Removing them helps some, but it isn't "the fix" by itself.

Next up is to replace the bulbs with bright LED's.  That helps quite a bit, but there's a debate about which color is best.  I'm running blue LED's in Big Blue (seems appropriate) but don't really like them, so I'm anxious to try Bill/HiPo Parts' new warm white LED's.

I had several conversations with Bill via email yesterday.  He hasn't gotten the quantity of those LED's he expected and is selling them rapidly - with rave reviews he said.

But, I'm sure he's going to get me a set as we've agreed a test with the gauges this way:

NOS: One of my new old stock gauges that have never seen the light of day.  Bill says the fluorescent paint will still be dead in spite of the gauge having been in a box its whole life, but we shall see.

Original: An original gauge with the fluorescent paint surely dead.

Testors: A gauge with Testors "Fluorescent Orange" paint that Bill says is only bright orange but does not fluoresce.  And, it is heavy so changes the gauge's reading.

HiPo: One gauge with Bill's fluorescent paint on the needle.

But that will take a while, so you might try the approach above.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
We had good results [original appearance] on my son's 1984 by removing the blue filters and installing new incandescent 194B [blue] bulbs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-194b?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-hella

I did not use the Hella bulbs; bought mine @ NAPA for ~$1.00 each.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wonder if the blue LED's emit a much narrower frequency of light than the blue incandescents do.  Big Blue's gauges are seriously BLUE, but perhaps the incandescents give a blue-shaded light that is more even?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
With the filters removed and using the 194B bulbs, there is no sense of blue. The dash lighting is just like original, except significantly brighter than what it was before removing the filters and clear 194 bulbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
With Bill's explanation of the blue wavelength causing the paint to fluoresce the most, it is easy to see why the manufacturers went with blue light.  But apparently the blue-tinted bulbs weren't available then or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of having the filters made and creating places for them to clip in.

Now that the filters have become opaque and blue bulbs are available, they are a nice solution to get blue-tinged light.  You just need to paint the needles with fresh fluorescent paint.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary, Bill's explanation about the blue wavelength causing the paint to fluoresce the most, caused me to remember the crystal clear [not opaque] light green filters I found on the F600 dash. Remember, I brought that dash last year? The F600 gauges have orange painted needles, too, so why did Ford go with green filters?

By the way, when you set up your test for different bulbs as well as different paints, if you want to test a green filter, I can mail you one [or all].
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't explain the green.  Perhaps it works fairly well and is "different"?

As for the test, I'm still in the formulating stages.  In fact, why don't we take this discussion to a new thread I'm working on .....  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Huge congrats on your truck!!!

The dye in the needle paint absorbs one color of light and emits another color. This is the principle of fluorescence.

So if they used a different material in the f600 gauges they may need a different wavelength of light to activate it.

Incidentally, our eyes are more sensitive to blue light than green light or red light, so bright blue light hurts out night vision... always best to keep the instrument lights as dim as you reasonably can so you can see better out side.

Sorry if this reads badly, I am kinda tired!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"