Filling up Bullnose Trucks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Filling up Bullnose Trucks

Cash
I wonder if anyone has the same issue when filling up there Bullnose.

The issue is when pumping gas is I have to fill it up very slow or else I have fuel shooting out of the filler port. I have always wondered if the tank has a vent and it is clogged causing this issue.

If memory serves me correctly I remember someone mentioning changing out the filler hose to one of a latter model.

Again I might be the only one with this issue or it could just be an old truck thing.
1980 F100 2WD (aka Carlos)
2017 F150 Lariat FX4 3.5EB 2nd gen (aka Big Red)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Filling up Bullnose Trucks

Pebcak
I get the same thing on my rear tank and also remember a conversation of how to fix it.  That's all I remember though.

I'll be saving this post when the answer comes out again.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cash
Yes, the change is in the way the fuel and vent are run to the tank. On the bullnose filler, the gas runs down the outside of the pip/hose and a plastic inside tube is the vent. Gas runs over the vent and it blows back up the vent to the top and "burps" out. In 1987, the flow was reversed, gas runs down the inside tube which moves the flow away from the air trying to get out. A later filler neck or necks are needed to fix this. Any similar body truck 1987-1996/7 will work. I cheated, I have a pair from a Diesel since my truck is non-catalyst.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That's interesting. I had an 88 with the diesel and it did not fill good at all.

My 86 does pretty good as long as you go slow. I tell the attendants to go slow.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
On my 1980 I have to go really, really slow but the fill neck on it comes up in the middle of the flatbed so it's a little different anyways.

On the 86 I can set the lever on the pump handle and let it go as fast as it wants until it trips.

With my gpa's 94 it helps to drive it up on a block of wood if you don't want to trickle it.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
You have to remember, Darth is a dually, so my fillers are close to 2' long and curved.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2