Fill the tank on a grade !!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fill the tank on a grade !!

RenoHuskerDu
We did a little experiment yesterday with Poncho Loco.  Many of you probably already know this, but I'm posting for anybody who hasn't had their bed off and seen the dumb fill hose routing, or done this experiment.

We parked on a slight grade with the right side higher, and put a 5g can of non-ethanol gas in Poncho. It was tough!  Very slow, gurgling, spilling.

Turn the truck around with the left side slightly higher ... Eureka!  Very easy to pour in 5g with no gurgling or overflow.

From now on, we're putting a properly-sized 4x4 ramp in the bed to roll up on if filling at a station. We have to drive for 20 minutes to get to the non-ethanol source, but it's worth it.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fill the tank on a grade !!

85lebaront2
Administrator
Reno, that brings back memories of filling Darth from the tanks at our scout camp after using him all weekend working at the camp. The tanks were located where the left side of the truck was a little lower than the right. Couple that with the torturous route the fuel has to follow on a dually and even the hand pump would spit back at you. I don't think we ever got much over 3/4 full on him.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I build driveways for a living, so have piles of road base here. For our diesel trucks, which is all but Poncho Loco and the drw E350, I have a home ranch diesel tank. I built a ramp from compacted base such that when we pull up to fill, the LR side of the truck is up a few inches. Problem solved.

Fueling at gas stations is another matter. On Super Duties, clipping that dumb internal vent helps, the so-called Harpoon mod. But as you say, for 97 and earlier, Furd's fill hose routing is tortuous. I've also noted that the hose is quite literally squashed. I wonder if Dentsides have the same issue?
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I seem to recall my 1977 F150 with dual tanks could be interesting to fill sometimes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I dont have any issues filling the tanks on my flare side and I had to make up the hose for the rear tank as it was never offered on a flare side.

Now I do have to say I made sure the inner tubes were a little longer so they would fit into the holders at both the tank end and the fill end and stay put.
If every thing is in place like the factory had it it works as it should.

There was only 1 time I thought I had an issue with the rear tank when filling as it clicked off after about 2 gallons and not take any more
Then I checked the gauge and the tank was full
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I'v just learned to deal with the slow filling issue.   And found that HOW I angle the nozzle makes a huge difference.   Someone has punched the filler hole to an oval, so I can move the nozzle around til it works.   If you ever used an old mechanical pump, it's not that different in filling speeds.   We are pretty spoiled these days.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2