Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
1234 ... 27
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand
This post was updated on .
I am going to attempt to capture the journey thus far on my project and hopefully gain much wisdom from the group here.
December 7th 2017:

Mileage was verifiable, ran strong and smooth, but caught fire on the way home.
Bringing her the rest of the way home on a flat bed was a shot in the gut.

Got the fire out before it was able to ruin the hood. Could've been so much worse!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm following.

But, your pics can be larger if you want.  In the code that is generated when you insert a pic you can add width="100%" and it'll force the pic full size no matter what device it is viewed on.  For instance, if I add a pic of Big Blue the code looks like this w/o the < and > on the front and back:

nabble_img src="After_Wash_and_Wax_Front_Quarter_-_Smaller.jpg" border="0" width="100%"/

Just stick the width="100%" in there and preview.  I think you'll like it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
I pushed it into the garage that day and it has sat there ever since...

Carb (Edelbrock 1406) looked salvageable, so I decided to try a rebuild kit for $50

Once I got far enough I was struggling with whether or not to pull it and get a bit more serious.

So out she came.

One regret here is that I didn't pull the transmission with it. I decided to leave it largely untouched since it had so few miles on it.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary. I will give that a try on my next post!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
From there I tried to get control of most of the rust on the frame and wanted to shine her up the best I could on a build with no real budget...
Many a night on a wire wheel, grinder, or sand blaster.

Had some pretty handy help along the way!

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
The wire wheeling and blasting came slow as I did not have the best shop set-up for this kind of project.

Then it started to get a bit more fun...
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I don't want to add up how much spray paint I have bought...

Tried to use as much of the original parts as I could.

Sorry for such a mess in the back ground. I am by no means a professional!!

Avery getting some quality time in ;o)

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
My cousin lives in NC and has a tremendous group of friends in this line of work and hobby so Ferdinand's heart got a complete rebuild from Kanapolis Engine. Didn't have the budget for anything special this time around so a little bit of a bump in the cam is all it got.

They did a great job and their turn around was very quick!
Just like Christmas!

Airgap

Trying to decide if red was the right decision...

It grew on me enough to give it a shot.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
More reconditioning...

Pulled 9" rear end got new bearings and seals.

Reconditioned hitch and skid plate for tank. (Installed new tank and sending unit also)
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
More tomorrow... Gotta get some shut eye.
Man, putting this all together helps me see how much progress has actually been made. Sure doesn't seem like it at the time that's for sure!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Awesome project! Thanks for sharing 😀

You do very nice work
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ford F834 wrote
Awesome project! Thanks for sharing 😀

You do very nice work
I wholeheartedly agree!

There's something that turns me on about seeing an old rusty part (axle, frame, bracket, whatever) that gets cleaned up and painted with fresh black paint...even if nobody else can ever see it, it still is something to just stand back and look at for a while...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it looks like a wonderful project, especially when you have your kids involved.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
WOW!

You have got a lot done there! I wish I could do the same to mine, maybe one day I will have an inside space to work in!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I appreciate the encouragement guys! I will hopefully load the work on the brakes, the lift, and setting the motor this evening.

Question though:
I finally figured out what I was missing to get Ferdinand to take his first "snort" (will share that one as well. Let's just say never overlook the obvious...)

However, I get the motor to crank and run (albeit rough) but would next step be to try and time it? That seems the next logical step to me. And if so, any thoughts on where to start? Ive heard things in the neighborhood of 10-15 degrees BTDC. I have never don't this before so I would really rather not screw something up and create more work for myself! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
...and Rembrant, you and I are cut from the same cloth my friend! That's half the fun of resto work for me is just to see the old look new again
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you get any instructions on break-in on the engine?  Lots of new cams are supposed to be run at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes w/o stop to break them in.

On the timing, anything between TDC and 10 degrees BTDC would be fine for getting it started.  You can always fine tune it later, after break-in.

On the rough running, make sure you have the plug wires on in the right order.  Beyond that, the rings have to seat to get good compression, so sometimes engines don't settle down for several minutes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I am not sure if I am doing this right, but I wanted you guys to hear this thing fire up... Now don't laugh. It doesn't sound too pretty, but I was on a 6 day stump trying to figure out why this thing wouldn't crank.
So excuse my enthusiasm for not a whole lot of run time.

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I will have to check. I don't remember them giving me anything specific on engine break-in but then again, that was back in February. So, I will check with my cousin and see. The 20 minute run time sounds familiar though.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I know that excitement! When I got my bronco to fire up after a new carb and dizzy I did a lap around the house!!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
1234 ... 27