classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fender Shims

kramttocs
Administrator
As anyone who has taken their fenders off knows, the longevity and re-usability of the pressed cardboard-type factory shim is limited.

When searching for what to use for mine I found a couple different ideas. I won't list them here as I am hoping others that have personally used them (and who knows what else) will chime in with photos and experience.

While at a home improvement store this evening I grabbed a few of the vinyl plank samples (slightly disappointed that there wasn't a Rosewood offering...) so I could compare them to the factory shim when I got home.

In comparing them they are a little thicker so they may not work but I also don't know how compressed the factory one has gotten over time. So I went ahead and stacked a couple to run through the jigsaw. If the thickness doesn't cause a problem I think they will work well.

Again, if you have found something that works for the shim, please chime in as it never hurts to have options and if these are too thick I will be looking for alternatives
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fender Shims

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Peel & stick linoleum tiles have always been a popular alternative.
(They stay in place while you are trying to get the fender bolted on)

I hope the thickness of your vinyl plank works out for you.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ah, that's a great idea. I didn't find that one when searching the forums somehow.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
If you really wanted to get it down to a gnat's ass, I suppose you could use a piece of Formica too.

I use the pieces on my Wilsonart chip chain for shims in the shop all the time.

Someone usually has trimmings from a laminate job.
Or you could just buy the counter end finishing cap they sell at box stores.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/VT-Dimensions-7-5-in-W-x-28-in-H-x-0-75-in-D-Formica-Laminate-Kitchen-Countertop-End-Cap/1000427577

There's got to be 7 4" sections in one of those if you count the backsplash part.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I'll check with my paint/body man to see what he uses.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I've used hardboard (same as OE), cardboard, steel, Aluminum, & plastic (from shattered dash parts, or antifreeze jugs, etc.).  Whatever it takes to align the fender to the door (AFTER the door is aligned to the cab opening).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Peel & stick linoleum tiles have always been a popular alternative.
(They stay in place while you are trying to get the fender bolted on)

I hope the thickness of your vinyl plank works out for you.
Mine were not Peel & Stick tiles but that need glue put down first.
They were easy to trim to size but I found when trying them and if you needed to undo the bolts to add or remove a shim they fell apart.
I made enough that when I had the right number of shims I installed the same number when I did not need to mess to them again.

I think if I had to do it again I would find something that would not fall apart after it was under pressure.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100