Felpro gaskets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Felpro gaskets

BeagleRock
Hey gang was wondering if anyone uses any type of adhesive aka permatex gray etc. On rubber valve cover gaskets. I've always used cork in the past and it's time to do it again as she's bleeding oil like a stuck pig on drivers side rear. Thanks in advance Randy/Beaglerock
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Felpro gaskets

PetesPonies
I do. I use a thin wipe of silicone. My preference is for a thin wipe on both surfaces you expect to mate. This breaks the surface tension which can create a leak. When I say thin I mean it. I assemble quickly.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Ok thanks very much!

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device
Sent: December 29, 2017 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: Felpro gaskets

I do. I use a thin wipe of silicone. My preference is for a thin wipe on both surfaces you expect to mate. This breaks the surface tension which can create a leak. When I say thin I mean it. I assemble quickly.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Felpro-gaskets-tp5778p5779.html
To unsubscribe from Felpro gaskets, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I use a bit more than Pete does, but I still use some silicon seal.  However, as I said in the email, that stuff is SLICK when WET.  So I tighten things down snuggly, maybe finger tight, which squishes the excess out and fills in any cracks, dents, etc.  Then the next morning I torque it down to specs.

Having said that, sheet metal valve covers are notorious for denting where the fasteners go through.  So you want to flatten them before installing.  Place the rim of the cover upside down on the edge of a table and tap the cover flat with a small hammer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Ok thanks Gary! Will do. 

Sent: December 29, 2017 9:13 PM

I use a bit more than Pete does, but I still use some silicon seal.  However, as I said in the email, that stuff is SLICK when WET.  So I tighten things down snuggly, maybe finger tight, which squishes the excess out and fills in any cracks, dents, etc.  Then the next morning I torque it down to specs.

Having said that, sheet metal valve covers are notorious for denting where the fasteners go through.  So you want to flatten them before installing.  Place the rim of the cover upside down on the edge of a table and tap the cover flat with a small hammer.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Felpro-gaskets-tp5778p5781.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
All sheet metal valve covers should have torque spreaders.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Forgive my ignorance,  torque spreaders???

Sent: December 29, 2017 10:00 PM

All sheet metal valve covers should have torque spreaders.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Felpro-gaskets-tp5778p5783.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock

I have never seen those on anything but can see where they'd help. Thanks Pete

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

For example

https://www.ebay.com/i/322966757185?chn=ps
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Felpro-gaskets-tp5778p5788.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Good old Corvair valve cover hold downs! Work great on brand C engines. I have seen small ones on some Fords, notably the 2.8, 2.9 3.0 and 4.0 European derived V6s.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I used those on a 350 I built once.  Worked fine, but I think the better approach is to buy a pair of cast valve covers.  They won't bend, so seal much better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
You don't mention what year or engine that you have, but here's my $.02...

Assuming that you have a small block, use valve covers that have the edge rolled up, not down over the edge of the head - I think they are '85 and newer. Don't waste your time on cork or rubber gaskets, as they both suck! The only gasket worth your time are OE Ford or MAHLE (Ford's OE manufacturer). They are a steel gasket with a rubber strip bonded to them. They act as a spacer so you don't bend the flange of the covers and they'll never leak.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Sorry about that, I replaced them back in mid January with felpro rubber gaskets and permatex black and so far so good! Can clean driveway now   BTW it's an 83 w/351W.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by myrl883
myrl883 wrote
YThe only gasket worth your time are OE Ford or MAHLE (Ford's OE manufacturer). They are a steel gasket with a rubber strip bonded to them. They act as a spacer so you don't bend the flange of the covers and they'll never leak.
I just picked up a set of the Fel-Pro Permadry~PLus valve cover gaskets...part # VS13264T, for my '84 302. They're expensive, but seem to have good reviews...much like the OEM Ford gaskets you're referring to. These ones have the metal core as well. Fel-Pro says to install them dry.

I also bought the Permadry Plus 1pc oil pan gasket, which was also very expensive, but again, good reviews as far as I could tell.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995