Favorite feature or trim on the Bullnose's?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Favorite feature or trim on the Bullnose's?

BullnoseHunter02
Hey yall, just to sparrk some conversation, what is your favorite option or trim for the beloved Bullnose trucks? Mine is probibly the Secutity Lock Group. Favorite trim would have to be the XLT Lariat. Nice truck!
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Favorite feature or trim on the Bullnose's?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For trim, I like XLT Lariat Explorer, which is what Big Blue is.  

For the feature, or option, the underhood toolbox is a my favorite.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Gary -What came with the toolbox, the article only covers how it was installed? I have a tire wrench and a jack in my hood along with a retractable light. Was that part of it?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good question.  Page 18 of the 1981 truck brochure says when you ordered it you also got the retractable light and locking hood release.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BullnoseHunter02
While I do like the XLT/Lariat packages, and they do make the trucks looks sexy as all get out, I actually prefer them more on the plain/solid color side. My favorite Bullnose option would have to be the Flareside beds. The truck below is a good example of what I mean...single solid color.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/759393350/overview/?aff=stemp2&CMP=stemp2

Some people would find that to be kinda of blah, but that's just my thing.

There are a lot of things that I really like about the Bullnose trucks...it was the end of an era for me, especially since it was basically the end of the old school Flareside beds with the tailgate chains and wooden bed floors, etc. Headlights were still made out of glass...dimmer switch on the floor, rubber floors and vinyl seats, big skinny steering wheel, vent windows, carbs and DSII ignitions,...the list goes on. The Bullnose trucks still had a lot of old-school features that mostly disappeared after 1986, or shortly after 1986.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
I belive he is talking about the Light Group, you got an under the hood light, a dome light, glove box light, and bed/ Cargo light. The toolbox thing that comes with the package sounds really cool. Is it useful?
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you are referring to Delco, he asked what came with the toolbox option.  Here's what the '81 brochure says, with the light group (C) in the lower left and the toolbox option (E) towards the center.  Both get the underhood work light, but nothing else in common.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Oh, thats so cool, it makes sense to offer the 2 together, toolbox and underhood light. My other favorite option would have to probibly be the CB Radio that was offered on all years of the Bullnose. You cant even get a built in CB n modern trucks, so hats off to Ford for that genius idea, IDK why ya would need one but its cool!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I think pretty much everyone here knows my pet trim line is the XLS... I don’t own one but I have some parts 🙂

I’m also quite fond of the 80/81 Freewheelin package trucks with the boxed in body panel stripes and marchal fog lights.

The under hood tool box is extremely nice to have, especially in a regular cab truck where there isn’t a lot of place to keep tools. But even besides the storage, it’s just convenient to have right there in the engine bay loaded with your basic go-to tool set.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
BullnoseHunter02 wrote
...CB...IDK why ya would need one but its cool!
Because cell phones, FMRS/GMRS walkie-talkies, & radar detectors hadn't been invented back then (but neither had police radar); and police scanners were more-expensive & less-useful; so a CB was the best way to find out where the cops were, as well as communicate with other drivers & a few gas stations.

My favorite trim was XLS because it's very functional & rare.   But I've only seen 2 IRL, and never owned one.

Favorite feature is either sliding side windows (Bronco only) or aux.batt. because they're rarer.   But the battery is VASTLY more-useful than the windows.   I've had both.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Ah, yeah, the exlplanation on the CB makes sense. The XLS trim, was it like the Fuel Saver trim offered on another year? It did look nice though. Cant remeber which year they offered the Fuel Saver trim on. The Freewheelin Package was insane tho. So 80s. I love the look of em. Really rare package these days. This is why i love these trucks so much! There were a lot of things that made them very unique. An example being the dual fuel tanks. IIRC with both, you had a 36 gallon capacity? I know you could get a 16 gallon on the 150, and the 250 and 350 had 18 gallon tanks. Dont see that on any trucks these days!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
XLS was a sport trim and was just cosmetic. It replaced the Freewheelin packages for 82/83. The fuel saver was equipment more than cosmetic. It had very tall gears, chin spoiler under the front bumper, shift indicator light, small radiator and low vehicle weight rating. The mid ship tank on short bed trucks had to be 16 gallons because of the wheelbase. Longbed trucks had both tank capacities at 19 gallons, 38 gallons combined. Bronco’s have a single 33 gallon.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
It's no secret that my favorite trim on the Bullnose was the early 1985 optional upper molding.  This style was only used for a short time and then quickly discontinued:

I am also a big fan of the revised 1985/1986 tailgate finish panel.  This design previewed the similar tailgate finish panel that was used on the later 1987 - 1996 trucks:

And I think the optional bumper guards look great on these trucks.  These were rarely seen again after the 1987 re-design:

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Ford F834
That is a sweet bronco!!

My favorite trim would be the step...I mean flareside.....

I also like the XLT Lariat trim.

Cannot wait to get into another bullnose....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Lariat 85, I really like this trim package in those photos.

The fender lip trim, the high molding and those bed rails look really nice. Not too flashy. Just right.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
XLS was a sport trim and was just cosmetic.
The XLS Bronco I saw had several functional options, including front LSD & quad front shocks w/o trailer package.  I think it was an '84, and its paint didn't look like the one in your pic.  I remember short graduated vertical stripes along the beltline leading to the "XLS" letters at the rear (but it has been a few decades).  I can't find a truck like that on Google Images.  Do you have options lists for them that show what was in that package each year?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice, nice, nice!

I've had a CB in just about every vehicle I've owned since I was 16. Not anymore though, quiet, hardly anybody uses them anymore. Cool option. Some of the full dress motorcycles had the CB option.

Now I have Ham radios.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve - See the Vehicles tab here (Literature/1983 Literature/Dealers Fact Book) for the detail.  For the Bronco it is on Page 6.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve, the Bronco in my pic is a 1980 Freewheel striped truck. The XLS was completely different. It was ‘82/83 only and the trim was moved to the compact ranger and Bronco II in ‘83. They had the blacked out exterior trim and brushed aluminum dash bezels. According to the type 15 and type 16 stripe kit part numbers there were 10 body colors of XLS. The option details are in the 1982 & 1983 dealer facts books here in Gary’s literature section. They came with various equipment options but were usually similar to the mid level XL. The upcharge on the invoice was for the cosmetic stuff though. I am working on a webpage and I have around 300 photos of XLS not counting the brochure pages and literature screen grabs. I actually just got the 1982 Bronco brochure in the mail last week which has some of the missing pictures I wanted. The seller messed up and didn’t give me the color chart, but that should be here any day. I’m actually getting close to having the webpage finished.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Man, that brushed aluminum fisish looked so so good! i read through and apparently the XLS was higher that the XLT Lariat in trims. I saw that when i was looking at what came in each trim level. That blue Freewheelin A package Bronco looks so pretty! the B package (had the tri tone tape stripe) looked cooler but i would still drive one with just the pinstriping like that one has! Yeah on the note of that CB Gary, i keep forgetting that nobody really had phones back then like we do now. it makes sense on why you would need one if you look at it from a 1980s prespective, not a 2019 prespective!