classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fasteners: Where To Put The Pages?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We recently realized that the pages in Documentation/Fasteners And Illustrations/Front Clip weren't working properly, so today I worked on them.  Extensively.

They are now working, but along the way I've realized that we have a page that shows pictures of 36 different fasteners that I've cataloged for these trucks.  And you can click on any of those pics and be taken to a page on that specific fastener, most of which have dimensions as well as sources where I've been able to find them.

However, I don't think you'll be using that page unless you are trying to figure out what some mysterious fastener is.  Instead, you are more likely to be going to one of the pages below, each of which has the illustration from the Master Parts Catalog.  And, each page has blue boxes around the fastener's part number, with the blue box serving as a link to the appropriate fastener's page.

Fenders And Aprons: Includes not only the fasteners for how the fenders and aprons/inner fenders attach to each other but also how they attach to the cab and radiator support.  In addition it includes the fasteners for the battery supports and sound deadening.

Hood: Shows how the hinges and hood latch attach, as well as the release.

Radiator And Grille: Fasteners for grille, headlight doors, upper and lower trim pieces, valance, filler panel, etc.

Headlights And Turn Signals: Shows how the headlights and turn signals attach as well as the filler piece outside of the headlights.

But, I have this sneaky feeling that this whole area is misplaced.  That somehow the pages should be elsewhere.  But where?  Do you know?  What needs to change?

Help!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fasteners: Where To Put The Pages?

Danny G
Having the blue box hot link is great. I have been playing with it.

I found a lot of these guys on clips and fasteners, pan handle auto fasteners and believe it or not Lowe's. Lowe's had the self cutting nuts that I had. Such a hard time finding at automotive stores.

I think it's also a great idea to have a page of just pictures for that odd ball one you just need to find.

Not to cause work but would be good on the page if some clicks a picture it brings them to those descriptions... And the description have a linked list of the sections that fastener is used like "Hood", "Fender and Apron" etc.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I personally think more time needs to be put into completing the fasteners section, rather than cleaning up what little you have. That can always be done once the section is complete because a completed section is more useful than a clean section with missing info.

I tried searching for the clips that the cab clearance lights screw into, but came back with nothing because I couldn't find a section for parts that screw into the top and back of the cab. I found it in the MPC, but not everybody has access to the MPC.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
A FTE member made me aware of this company

https://discoautomotive.com/products/catalog/

They have a catalog of Ford and other hardware that may help.
Took a ton of screens but won't post them all

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
TheScatch wrote
Not to cause work but would be good on the page if some clicks a picture it brings them to those descriptions... And the description have a linked list of the sections that fastener is used like "Hood", "Fender and Apron" etc.
Did you try clicking any of those pics?    All but the ones I added today take you to the page for that fastener.  I forgot to do that for today's 6 or so, but will do that ASAP.

But I don't have the list about where the fasteners are used.  That's a good idea, but it will take a lot of work.  So, as long as I'm doing this by myself that will be for "some day".

But that Disco find is great.  I can list them as a source for various fasteners as well.

salans7 wrote
I personally think more time needs to be put into completing the fasteners section, rather than cleaning up what little you have. That can always be done once the section is complete because a completed section is more useful than a clean section with missing info.

I tried searching for the clips that the cab clearance lights screw into, but came back with nothing because I couldn't find a section for parts that screw into the top and back of the cab. I found it in the MPC, but not everybody has access to the MPC.
Other than adding the links to the few fasteners I added today, I'm done with what you see.  In other words, the clean up is essentially done.

So which section do you think needs to be next?  This one?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
All of the interior pages, and then the one for the cargo lights and cab clearance lights would be nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are going into the MLB playoffs and then the Series, so I'll be watching some baseball and can "compute" in the background.  Or, maybe watch baseball in the background and compute in the foreground.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
At the risk of being sarcastic, I'm sure you will find a place to "fasten" them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
85lebaront2 wrote
At the risk of being sarcastic, I'm sure you will find a place to "fasten" them.
He just needs to clip a few pieces of info and then attach them in a more appropriate spot so that nobody goes nuts trying to find the info.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You guys are FUNNY!  

I might play with this a bit today.  Still winding down/recovering from the show and not quite ready to jump back into working on Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, this is WORK!

I got two more pages up, but I've only added three more fasteners.  The issue is that I go pull said fastener off Big Blue, take pics, check what the catalog says the size should be to ensure I have the right one, create new pages, add them to the fasteners collage, etc.  

So when you look at these pages you will be underwhelmed.  Big time!  But, we have a start.

Interior Trim - Bronco

Interior Trim - Regular Cab

Check them out and let me know your thoughts.  And before you ask, I'd hoped that the Broncos use many of the same fasteners that the pickups use.  But there wasn't nearly as much overlap as I'd hoped.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Already helped myself with the new pages, now I know the proper screw size for my map pockets.

Thanks for all of the hard work Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That was quick, Shaun!  Glad it helped.  And welcome.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Nice sir, the lack of sources for a lot of these is why I have lots of jars full of screws, maybe now I can put numbers on them. A suggestion, AuVeCo carries a lot of these, and you will probably not be too surprised to find that Chrysler Ford and GM frequently use the same hardware, just different PNs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have little totes full of fasteners, and they are in baggies telling from whence they came.

As for a source, I have found some at AuVeCo.  But today's screws they didn't have.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This is a lot of excellent work. This will save so many people headaches or from shotgunning fastener orders etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  If you guys find sources on any of these please let me know so I can update the pages.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
I think I mentioned this on FTE when I provided that link to Disco but most if not all of them can be ordered from O'Reillys in bags of 25+ for pretty reasonable prices. They don't have them in the stores (at least not the one here) but they only took a day or two to get.
Just make sure you ask if they have any special freight charges on them as that quickly increases the price.
I have been very impressed with the quality of the Disco fasteners. They have a large body bolt assortment box that's nice.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - How do you get the right part number?  I've tried on Disco's site to find a couple of them, but no dice.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Since I've been replacing old and crusty with new and clean, finding the bolts/nuts/etc has really just been a matter of getting the dimensions of what I have in hand and finding a match - I can't emphasize just how handy a thread chaser set is.

I know you are referring more to crossing the Ford numbers though and that I haven't tried. There have only been a couple times I've tried to find a 'Nxxx' bolt online and aside from bed bolts I have always had to pull them from a parts truck or jy truck and fall back on the measurements approach.

So sadly the Disco catalog probably won't be a great source for purely cross-referencing. Not saying it's the best all in one catalog out there either but if we can find a fairly all encompassing catalog we could all pitch in to contribute measurements for fasteners we have in hand to match up with the catalog items.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio