27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fasteners - Barrel Nuts

kramttocs
Administrator
Hey Gary,
From 'R' could I also get all of the details on JU?

There should be two different sizes although I haven't found any rhyme or reason to when the different ones were used. In the jy I have found different sizes on the same years.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fasteners - Barrel Nuts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Boy, I need to get this info onto the website - after we move the website.

This is an excerpt from what the catalog is referring to as Section R:

And here's what the Standard & Utility Catalog says about it:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That standard and utility catalog is handy with the measurements!
Odd that it shows only one size for 80-89.

There are two different size nuts that go on two different styles of clips (that attach to the upper fender trim). The smaller style is metal and what is on Camano while the larger style is plastic and is what was in a nos piece I bought and the vast majority of my trucks I looked at. I only ever found 1 other jy truck with the metal pins. I'll take some photos.
LMC will sell you plastic barrel nuts that fit the larger style clips. PINS is probably a better word.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There was a lot of variability in what was used.  On our page for N610939, which is the screw that holds the arm rest support to the inner door panel, I wrote:

The Standard & Utilities Parts catalog says that an N610939 is a Tap Hex Washer Head 4.2 - 1.41 x 19m.  But this is the screw that was in the door of two of my trucks to hold the arm rest support on.  It is a #8 (4.2mm) x 1/2" (13mm).  But if you have a different screw in that position please send me close up pics of it - like this one.

And I put this pic below that:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Interesting. Both my 86's used the hex head although one had been swapped for a normal trim screw.

Here is the thicker plastic pin:
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you can get me a good pic of the hex head fastener I'll add it to the page.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Here is the smaller metal pin in the trim:

Here are some of the door screw. Let me know if these won't work.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - Your pics are now on the page: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/N610939.html.  See if you approve, please.  And thank you.

As for the metal pin pics, I'm not ready to do that yet.  But will when we get the site sorted out.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Looks great.
Sounds good - the pin was to show the difference between the metal and plastic in my search for those smaller clips but will be good to show them both on your fasteners page later. I'll check out Disco and see what sizes they have and may order a couple of them.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
Here is the smaller metal pin in the trim:
That is the wrong "clip" on that (not) metal pin.
That molding retainer is threaded and gets a nut to hold the molding to the body.
There is no way to get that clip off the threaded retainer and why it pulled out of the body when removed.
That type of clip is made for smooth pins like the fender badges and hood letters.

That brings up a question of that type pin retainer.
Do we have a size / PN for the fender badges and hood letters pin retainers as I will be needing some shortly to put them back on.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
FuzzFace2 wrote
What do you mean with the '(not)'?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just got home and checked the two junk pieces of trim that have the small metal pins matching mine. Pulled them so I'd have spares pins when I realized they weren't common in the local jy. They use the same barrel nuts and are threaded also

Dave - I agree that with the threaded pins those barrel nuts won't stay in the fender which means they tear the retaining tabs off. Seems like an odd choice by Ford.

I like the idea of using nuts on them but I am not sure how much of a trick they'd be to install. When I get the truck back I'll have to see if the holes are accessible from inside the fender.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
kramttocs wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
What do you mean with the '(not)'?
What I meant was it's a threaded stud and "not" a pin.
When I get to the garage this weekend I will see if I can dig up the moldings but I think the are covered in plastic for painting the truck and can't get to them just yet to check.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I may be getting my truck back tomorrow and since the inner fenders are out I will see what can be done.
I don't see Ford putting nuts on these from the factory though (speed/replacement) so I wouldn't call them the wrong fasteners, since they are stock, but I would call them odd. 😁 Especially on an 86. One thing if they are a first year merge on an 80 but not the 86.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Yes the moldings are covered with 2 layers of plastic and I don't want to go moving them just yet to kick up dust & dirt as I have more painting to do today.

I did give a quick look, in the dark, at the fenders that are off the truck and there is a hole in the brace to get a nut & socket in there but you would need to drop the inner liner and I don't know if you have room because of the cab cowl vent drain coming down in that area.

I also cant remember how I removed the moldings off the parts truck as it has been almost 4 years.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Boy, I need to get this info onto the website - after we move the website.

This is an excerpt from what the catalog is referring to as Section R:

And here's what the Standard & Utility Catalog says about it:

BTTT
Gary or anyone in the know
for the 80/83? trucks with F O R D letters on the hood do you have the barrel nut dimensions / type for them?

I have the old ones but some were bent and I got then some what straight.
I also got a pack of 15 from NAPA but they are a little to big. Tthey slip on / off the pins and have not tried in the holes on the hood. I fear if I get them in and they don't fit tight to the pins I cant get them out with out hurting the paint.
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - First, I'm "in the know" for the retainers for the 1982 & 3 letters: E0TZ 000000-A.  (They only used the letters in '80 & '81.  )

But, it isn't so easy for the 1980 & '81 trucks.  That's 'cause there apparently isn't a part number in the catalog for them.  As you can see below, "Incl. attaching parts" means they came with the letters:

But, if you can measure the studs and give me a pic of the original retainers maybe we can figure it out?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - First, I'm "in the know" for the retainers for the 1982 & 3 letters: E0TZ 000000-A.  (They only used the letters in '80 & '81.  )

But, it isn't so easy for the 1980 & '81 trucks.  That's 'cause there apparently isn't a part number in the catalog for them.  As you can see below, "Incl. attaching parts" means they came with the letters:

But, if you can measure the studs and give me a pic of the original retainers maybe we can figure it out?
Thanks I cant keep the years straight when they did away with the hood letters or went to ball joints. It will not be the last time I get it wrong.

The clip looks like type 2 is your post.
Over the weekend I will get measurements and some pictures
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G

Is this about what you are looking for?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
One thing I did was to take pictures of stuff before it came apart so I could remember what went where down the road. I have the same screw in my passenger support bracket.

And this one in the driver.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew