classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Family, Brotherhood, & Kindness

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Family - It has come to my attention from several people that sometimes our posts are not kind. In fact, one member apparently hasn't been back since he was badly treated.

Our guidelines, which govern membership here, include that "we do appreciate each other, which means we don't yell at nor talk down to others." Perhaps the "talk down to others" is too vague? Do we need to be more specific?

I hope we don't have to spell everything out. So let me tell you what that includes to me:

Dogmatic Approach: This is defined as "the expression of an opinion or belief as if it were a fact: positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant". Just because we remember it one way doesn't make it so. And just because it is in print or on the internet does not make it so.

Opinions: I have many opinions, but my opinions aren't any more important than yours. So if I try to tell you that mine are more important than yours then I'm "talking down" to you from my perceived lofty perch.

Argumentative: Continually pushing a view/opinion and having to have the last word. State your opinion, gently, and let it go.

Let me put this another way. Our family got a subscription for Janey and I to a system that sends each of us a question each week for a year. My question this week was "What is the thing you've built that gives you the most pride?" And my answer was this website and forum - the website because it is the best in the world for Bullnose documentation, and the forum because it "provides a safe, friendly place for like-minded people to help each other without the anger, drama, and language that is typical elsewhere".

The "elsewhere" refers to Facebook. I am a member on something like 10 Facebook pages for Ford trucks, and I can't stand the way some people act on them. In fact, I've blocked many people from seeing my responses and me theirs because of the language they use and the way they treat others.

So I'm asking all of you to think about what you are saying, how you are saying it, and how often you are saying it. We must ensure this is a safe, friendly place to hang out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Family, Brotherhood, & Kindness

85lebaront2
Administrator
Amen to that, brother. I try to explain things as best I can, and avoid a lot of technical jargon as I know not everyone (a) owned a carburetor shop (b) worked at a dealership and (c) spent 30 years in materials testing.

I can dig up technical information for those so inclined, and post it, in fact I have in a discussion of best fasteners for exhaust manifolds. How many people know that there are two very different strengths of the common CRES bolts? Condition A is pretty soft, Condition B is pretty damn strong.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It's very sad that this has to be said, but it does. I can think of a few people from FTE who made my forum experience sour at times, and those people very well may be here also.

The biggest offender I've come across is "Use the search function". I've seen it so many times on other forums, and it's sad to see. Rather than spend time trying to point the person in the right direction, they'd rather spend the time to tell the person to find it themselves. I hope that I never come across that response on this forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill and Shaun.

Bill - I know you have documentation, and some of it is on this site.  

Shaun - Telling someone to search for it isn't very helpful.  And since our search functions aren't perfected it is even less helpful.

I did, however, tell someone on Facebook recently to search for it on here.  Don't remember exactly what he was looking for, but I was out and about and didn't have the time to find it.  Oh yes, it was repairing slide locks!  Anyway, telling him there was something on here to answer his question seemed better than not saying anything at all.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Support, support, support, That's what I get and try to give here, hope I'm not on the naughty-dog list....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Randy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for working to maintain this.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by salans7
Guilty as charged.  

I think it was last week that I told someone to RTM, and that the '86 EVTM was under: documentation -> electrical -> '86 EVTM.

There's no way I could walk someone through a schematic, and list all the connectors and splices along the way.
Since I'm always on my phone, even if I had the time I don't have the space to open windows side by side and map it out. ....it just isn't happening.

So, like Gary, I tried to tell the OP where the information could be found.

When I do post in the wdydtytt I try to have clear photos with concise descriptions.
I try to make it big enough that X is instantly apparent, and not so close that there 's no frame of reference.
Rarely will I say (as I did to Gary, about the 250-460 cross member) go to *this url, and look around for it.
But he did go to my Flickr Re-power Set and instantly understood the difference between a diesel/460 crossmember and a 300/Windsor/335 cross member.

I'm here because I want to share. So others don't have to learn by failing.
Being able to help is one of my very few rewards in life.
Besides, I like having plaques with my name on them plastered to people's firewalls.  

A great big Thank You to Gary for his tireless work to build and maintain this home for us.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Randy - You are more than welcome.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
Besides, I like having plaques with my name on them plastered to people's firewalls.  

A great big Thank You to Gary for his tireless work to build and maintain this home for us.
So YOU are Florida Man?  

Seriously though, we built this, not me.  You are a big part of it, and I certainly appreciate your help.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, your humility is showing..    

Seriously, your name is the url!
And it is your tremendous drive and organization that has built the foundation that we all stand on.
It is your passion for these trucks that shows in everything you do here online.

Don't be shy. I'm not putting you on a pedestal.
But recognition and accolades are absolutely deserved.

Soapbox off/
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
These forums are really great stuff. Since 1999 when I got my first real decent home computer, I have been loving forums like this. Although you usually don't get to lean over the hood of your project vehicle with your forum friends, you do get to "hang out" with like minded people, and that's cool.

Most of the time, the people nearby not only don't have any interest in your rusty junk, they also think you're out of your mind for investing any time or money into it...lol.

I can't tell you how many times somebody has asked me, "So, uh, when you're all done with this thing, you can at least sell it and make some money on it, right?".

HAHAHAHA....uh, no...that's not the way it works. Never mind.

Thanks for all you do Gary, and thanks for creating a place a bunch of OCD guys with dirty fingernails can hang out.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is my name in the URL, which now seems ostentatious as well as vague.  So I'm considering a URL change if and when we relo the website, one that tells people what the site is about.

As for getting your money back, half of it if you are lucky.  So the less you put in the less you'll lose.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I honestly don't know what I would do without all the work that has gone into this site.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
TheScatch wrote
I honestly don't know what I would do without all the work that has gone into this site.
Hopefully, we never have to find out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
TheScatch wrote
Hopefully, we never have to find out!
Amen, brother!  That is one scary thought.

My kids wonder why my trucks aren't done.  But, for instance, the last 3 days have been spent working on what was the "fasteners" pages, but that seems to have morphed into something much bigger.  If so it will have been well worth it.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I’ve seen a few tense or rude posts but by and large this has been an incredibly supportive group, thank you Gary and others for all your help!

- Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the way we want it, Christopher.  Supportive and kind.  Glad to see that, for the most part, we have been.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
This is the only forum I visit regularly. I check it at least twice a day.
I *might* look at another forum (of some form) maybe twice in a month, and that is typically related to something I'm working on at the shop and need an answer to some odd item.
I don't come here *needing* anything 99% of the time. I come here just to try and keep up with the progress (or lack thereof) of other people's projects. I may not reply to a lot of posts, but I read a good many threads.

What I do come here for, is the friendly chatter amongst people I have met (in person), and those I hope to meet someday.
I dislike the rudeness and arrogance that is often fond on forums, but not here. Back when I was in the late stage of the cummins swap, I *tried* searching a couple forums that are supposed to be about doing cummins swaps looking for a way to wire up the alt. All I found was a bunch of arrogant comments, and no real info. In the end, I studied the factory wiring diagrams for both my truck and dodge trucks, and came up with what I thought was the way to make the Ford regulator control the dodge alt. I tried it, and, well, it still works today. Should anyone ever ask, I'll be happy to give the (simple) answer.

I cannot say I have seen anything rude or arrogant here. If it has happened, I am unaware of it.
Thanks Gary, and everyone else, for all that you do to make this a place I actually want to browse.
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Paul - Glad you enjoy it here.  That's the plan, and we want to keep it that way.

As for the alternator, write it up on a thread.  Maybe someone will want to know and find it via a Google search.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBlue 94
Love the site and its helpful info and people.

Over on the fullsize bronco forums, we've had to ban numerous members for rudeness etc. Usually they are just trolls, and it is no loss to us. But one specific long time member finally got banned. He is a user on here, and he knows who he is. I will not mention names. He was a treasure trove of info of all kinds on these trucks. Thankfully, he kept all his info where we could still acess it and we are very thankful for that.
1985 Bronco Custom- 309" inline six, np435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker in the rear and Trutrac in the front. 12k winch. Onboard air coming soon

1996 F350 RCLB 4x4. 351w, ZF5, 35" swampers.

99 E250 v6 rust bucket. Daily driver on 33" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I am pretty sure I know who you are referring to. I have butted heads with a few on here and definitely with a number on FTE. One on FTE was great, he told me that I didn't know anything about a particular carburetor, so I posted I was fine with his opinion and he could do what he wanted.

I think three other members told him he had just made a huge mistake as I was probably the only person who really understood all types of carburetors. I monitored the thread for about a week before he begged me to please help. Gary may even remember the incident.

I am not perfect, I will freely admit it, I try to share my knowledge as fairly as possible and if I don't really have an opinion I will not comment, in the interest of not creating confusion.

FWIW, I am one of what Gary called "founding fathers" when he started the site, and have tried to keep the idea of a friendly group where questions asked are answered without trying to belittle anyone's lack of specific knowledge. In my opinion, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413