Fall blahs!!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fall blahs!!

Sully69
Me thinks fall may be here, had to wear a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt this morning. I really don't like cold weather!!
Anyway, today I came across the "XLT" that was supposed to be on my radio bezel & since I was going to paint the gauge needles, I experimented and painted the XLT as well. I used pearl white metallic on that and metallic fluorescent orange on the needles. After it all dried I went over everything with glow in the dark paint. I was surprised that the glow in the dark actually worked as advertised, invisible in the daylight and glows under UV light. I'll try to get pictures after dark & under UV. The pics I took using a black light looked nothing like what I saw in person.
SullyCluster & Radio/Heater Bezel
Cluster & Radio/Heater Bezel
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fall blahs!!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sully - Those gauges look good!  But, when you say "glow in the dark paint", what did you really use?  And, how do they look at night?  Further, what lighting do you have in the gauges to light those gauges?

As for what things look like in person vs via a camera and a computer, I find that a frustrating thing.  There's just no way I can get even my own tightly-controlled process to compare to the real thing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sully69
Gary
It's actually an acrylic glow in the dark paint I found at WallyWorld when I was hunting small brushes to paint the needles. Instructions said it can be used alone or mixed with light colored acrylics. I guess it's mostly used for light switches, ceiling stars and costumes etc. As for the dash lights in my truck, I bought some UV led's to replace the ones in there originally. I've been experimenting with which ones will be UV and which ones won't. It's an ongoing thing as I'm doing it outside so have wait for darkness to come, just doesn't get dark enough in my shop. I take the truck far enough away from the house & other buildings to check then go back into the light to swap things around. I should have put all the security lights on cutoffs but didn't. My wife wanted security so they're just on dusk to dawn sensors.
Hindsight is 20/20, right? lol
Sully
Oh, I'm using my phone for photos so I have no real options, I get what I get. When I do get the gauges etc glowing right I will add photos, hopefully some good ones. I'm looking at new phones, maybe I'll find a decent one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  I'm anxious to see how that works.  Can you see the gauges with the UV LED's?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI