Failed DEQ again

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Failed DEQ again

kristopherdb
I just ran up to DEQ on my lunch to try and pass again and failed again! Any suggestions I am at about double what I can be to pass.

I have replaced the EGR Valve with new, replaced the smog pump with new, connected the belt to the smog pump, put the vacuum line that was disconnected (green I believe) into the EGR Valve, Got a brand new Catalytic Converter, Muffler and exhaust, new air filter, new plugs, new wires, new oil change, ran two tanks of gas through it with redline fuel injector cleaner and some mystery oil.

I was for sure I finally had it and I am getting close to the end of my trip permit. I don't know where else to look. Now to be fair I was blowing a 2480 microns per millions and have it down to 390 so I made huge progress but I am at a loss. They say its running rich?
1985 4x4 F150 Flareside 6L Manual 4 with Granny gear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Failed DEQ again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Post the results and maybe someone can help.

And, have you checked all the codes?  If it isn't throwing codes then maybe you don't have the air plumbed into the cat and exhaust correctly?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
Sorry probably a dumb question but how do I get codes? 

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: Failed DEQ again
To: kristopherdb <[hidden email]>

Post the results and maybe someone can help.

And, have you checked all the codes?  If it isn't throwing codes then maybe you don't have the air plumbed into the cat and exhaust correctly?
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1565.html
To unsubscribe from Failed DEQ again, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's something we need in the Resources section. But see if this helps: http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
You have a feedback system?? sorry if you do. I would just work around it . .meaning there are some tricks. Make sure you engine is hot. So totally warmed up and then some. If you can block the radiator nd let it climb a bit higher, it will help. Bring you timing back a bit, meaning retard it a few degrees. Is this an idle sniff test or more?
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
They stick the sniffer in the tailpipe and measure and then have me rev it and measure 

From: PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:47:25 PM
To: kristopherdb

You have a feedback system?? sorry if you do. I would just work around it . .meaning there are some tricks. Make sure you engine is hot. So totally warmed up and then some. If you can block the radiator nd let it climb a bit higher, it will help. Bring you timing back a bit, meaning retard it a few degrees. Is this an idle sniff test or more?

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1570.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
What’s a feedback system? 

From: PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:47:25 PM
To: kristopherdb

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1570.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
4.9L you do have a feedback system, that is how Detroit got carbureted engines to meet emission requirements. The burning questions are: (A) are they using CA standards? That brings us the (B) is the truck a CA spec, 50 state spec or 49 state spec? if it is a 49 state and they are using CA spec requirements you might have a problem unless you can convince them it is correct as sold. Check that the bowl to throttle body screws are tight and the gasket isn't bad, that will make a YFA run richer than it should, make sure the mixture control solenoid is working (you should be able to feel it cycling by putting you finger on it. Fresh oil change, new PCV valve will also help, What brand of parts are you buying, my son had a royal fit trying to use aftermarket sensors on a 1986 EFI 302.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
I’m in Oregon. The star type screws on the top were pretty loose. I tightened them snug and then a bump. I had done the PCV as well. 

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:46 PM

4.9L you do have a feedback system, that is how Detroit got carbureted engines to meet emission requirements. The burning questions are: (A) are they using CA standards? That brings us the (B) is the truck a CA spec, 50 state spec or 49 state spec? if it is a 49 state and they are using CA spec requirements you might have a problem unless you can convince them it is correct as sold. Check that the bowl to throttle body screws are tight and the gasket isn't bad, that will make a YFA run richer than it should, make sure the mixture control solenoid is working (you should be able to feel it cycling by putting you finger on it. Fresh oil change, new PCV valve will also help, What brand of parts are you buying, my son had a royal fit trying to use aftermarket sensors on a 1986 EFI 302.
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD
2011 Flex
1994 Taurus LX
1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible project car

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1576.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I need more help on troubleshooting the solenoid. I don't feel clicking but the whole motor running could easily cover that. While trying to feel it directly under it towards me there is a gold bell looking thing with a hose going to the bottom of the carb. There is a huge hole in it 

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Knotty Kris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m in Oregon. The star type screws on the top were pretty loose. I tightened them snug and then a bump. I had done the PCV as well. 

2011 Flex
1994 Taurus LX

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1576.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
In this pic I stole from where the #2 bell thing at the bottom to the carb that hose has a huge crack/tear in it whatever it is 

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:30 PM
To: 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>

I need more help on troubleshooting the solenoid. I don't feel clicking but the whole motor running could easily cover that. While trying to feel it directly under it towards me there is a gold bell looking thing with a hose going to the bottom of the carb. There is a huge hole in it 

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Knotty Kris <[hidden email]> wrote:

2011 Flex
1994 Taurus LX

NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Depends what year you have as to if you have a feedback system. !984 up for the 49 states was feedback.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kristopherdb

kristopherdb wrote
In this pic I stole from where the #2 bell thing at the bottom to the carb that hose has a huge crack/tear in it whatever it is
[Image]

Image-3.png (1M) <http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/attachment/1584/0/Image-3.png>
That looks like the A.I.R. check valve.
Is the smog pump on your engine working?
Definitely replace the hose (with any hose)
The thermactor system is there to burn off excess CO before it can make it out the pipe.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
After looking at some images it does look like a Air Injection check valve http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-INJECTION-CHECK-VALVE-fits-83-97-Ford-E8DZ-9A487-A-Motorcraft-CX-760-A/261332690775?epid=74539344&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item3cd8a46757%3Ag%3AWJ8AAOxyLN9SiT8L can someone confirm?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It is.....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
You haven't said what year the truck is , or I have missed that.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
yes the new smog pump is working and turning, where the hose comes off the valve and into the carb its all rubber and split badly, lots of warm air coming out of the hole.
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
its a 1985 4x4 300 Im not sure why my signature doesn't show it sorry
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
would this make me run rich and be the cause of my failed DEQ?  

Can I buy a roll of some sized vacuum line and replace most of them myself or do you have to buy it piece by piece? This piece of tubing looks bigger of course but most of them are all pencil sized and sat for 15 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the air from the pump is not going where it is supposed to go then the catalytic converter can't burn off all the fuel and, I would think, that would show up as being rich.

And you can by rolls of different-sized vacuum line from the auto parts store and just cut the right length pieces.