1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Factory Fog Lamp wiring [partial?]

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As David and I've discussed, this harness won't work well for me.  The reason being that I don't have the original switch, which isn't available, so can't use the connector.  And, I'm going with a later power distribution box, so won't be running the wire to the original spot for the source.

But, if anyone has the original switch and wants to wire up fog lights this would be an easy way to go.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Jonathan does not need this part, but he does have a NOS original switch, if anyone has questions about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd like to see some good pics of that switch as I want to find one like it.

I had wondered if a tank switch would work, so yesterday I pulled the NOS one I have out and held it next to the dash I have in the attic.  I think I could make it work, but it would be just that - work.  The mounting bracket on the switch isn't close to being right and some fabrication would be necessary.

However, the hole in the dash is D-shaped, so there might be a switch out there that I could make work.  Preferably it would have the flat arm/lever on it so a knob like is used on the fan and tank switches would go on.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Absolutely Gary, I will take whatever pictures and measurements you would like. I didn't particularly like paying the high price for this NOS switch, but one of my justifications for doing it was to be able to compare it to the fuel tank switch or aftermarket alternatives and see if I could solve the "rare switch" problem. As you pointed out, mounting it seems to be the main issue. I don't see any reason why we can't get a tank selector switch to work in its place.

As David mentioned, I am passing on this harness and the main reason being that it is incomplete. I am thinking that I should find an OBS straight six under hood fuse block/relay box and use that to power all the lights. It would help clean up the wiring and upgrade the bigger stuff to relay switches.

You mentioned that the switch bezel for the dash could be scanned for 3D printing? Would it be possible to scan the one on my bezel without dismounting it?

I'm also hoping Chris McGaugh can help me out with pictures and measurements of the fog light shrouds/surrounds. The lamps themselves were Marchal 750/759 series and are generally available on eBay, just not with the Ford surrounds.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When you get back lets do closeup shots of the tank selector switches (I should have an early and a late one) and the fog light switch, with rulers in the shots for reference.

As for scanning, I suppose that is possible while on the instrument bezel, but that would complicate things.  However, from what little I've read it seems that scanning is somewhat imprecise.  So, what I really need to do is to dig out the measurements I've been given by others and finally draw up the bezel in 3D.  Then maybe Ron can walk me through having it printed and we'll see if it is acceptable.

The font for the lettering may not be exact, although I'll try to figure out what Ford used.  But unless it is compared to an original it, hopefully, will be acceptable.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Hey 1986f150six

I think we should un-officially dub you  the official internet scrounger for NOS parts.
You do a fantastic job!

Reamer
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why not officially?  He's sure found parts for me.  

As for the bezel, I started a new thread on the idea of printing one, finding a switch, etc: http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Fog-Light-Bezel-Switch-etc-td5111.html

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
Hey 1986f150six

I think we should un-officially dub you  the official internet scrounger for NOS parts.
You do a fantastic job!

Reamer
 I have been called much worse! Thanks!