Exterior Moulding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exterior Moulding

Vic Roma
With all this recent chatter about moulding, instigated by that centerfold pin-up model “Lucille,” what are your thoughts on all forms of exterior embellishments, be they:

- stripes that highlight the “flat” side of the truck (the section of truck that from front to back, is above rockers, and below door window and truck bed),
- trim at wheel opening,
- above wheel arches (2”) and running along the length of the truck above rocker panels by about 4”, with or without black vinyl in the bright metal channel,
- trim at top edge of truck, also front to back of truck side, but just above or below the dent-side detail, below door window edge, truck bed, etc.
- or, none at all.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exterior Moulding

Steve83
Banned User
Vic Roma wrote
...what are your thoughts on all forms of exterior embellishments...
Entirely the owner's discretion; there's no accounting for taste.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
Thanks for the plug!

I like to see the exterior molding.  It adds some protection to the truck, and it makes it look a bit more thought out and creative.  No trim looks like a cheaper work truck to me.  So many people leave off all trim and stripes when they re-paint, and to me it never looks finished when they do that.  One thing I have noticed:  when I go to car shows, most people - including judges - initially think my truck is a completely original un-restored truck that was carefully stored and babied it's whole life.  I think that is because I added *all* the [NOS] trim back when I restored it, inside and out.  I always get massive respect and points for that.

My personal favorite exterior molding is the the upper trim molding I have on Lucille, but some don't care for it. I think it looks better on a solid color truck, though.  

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting questions.  Here are my opinions, with pics to support them.  But, I'm not at all saying my opinions are correct.  In fact, you'll see that I like the trim on one of my trucks better than that on the other - but I still like the other truck.

Upper trim: I like the trim that's on both of my trucks, as shown below.  It is narrow and not obtrusive.  But, it is no longer available, so I can't recommend it.

Lower trim: None.  I like the lack of trim on Dad's truck, on the left.  It looks "clean" to me where the lower  trim on Big Blue looks busy to me.  

Wheel well trim: I like it right on the wheel well, like on Dad's truck.  I call the trim 2" over the wheel wells on Big Blue "high water" trim as it looks like it was hiked up to keep it dry.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Steve83
How many times will he attempt it? The silly barstool just can’t get it right:

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Is the upper trim on Dad’s Truck the same as on Big Blue? Do you have close-up shots of both?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes it is the same.  But I don't have a closeup, although I can get one this afternoon and post it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vic Roma wrote
Is the upper trim on Dad’s Truck the same as on Big Blue? Do you have close-up shots of both?

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I prefer just the upper wheel well molding with either the black or bright trim - but not the early 'thick' black.  If there is upper trim I like just the plain chrome, no black insert. Again, all preference.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Do you mean in either 80, or 81/82, there was “bright w/ vinyl” that had a different pattern/appearance? Did that generation of trim have no faux leather pattern, and it was just a straight/smooth black insert?
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes, it still had the same texture but was thicker and had a more prominent plateau. Not a great photo of it but you can see the black isn't as flat as the later years.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I think that thicker trapezoid style was only used in 1980.  It matched the optional rub strips that were found on the front and rear bumper.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the changeover was 4/81: