classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Explorer Disscussion.

Danny G
SCFlareside wrote
Interesting stuff.  So the explorer package was indeed available on the flaresides but there is a little footnote that says the exterior badge isn't available on the flareside.

They went to a two tone explorer paint scheme but my truck is only one color - bright silver metallic with the blue interior.  It does look like deletion of the two tone was an option as well so that makes sense

If I read that right it looks like package A and B were only style side but C was available in all models as a stand alone package.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
TheScatch wrote
I didn't realize the brushed aluminum grill was available pre 1987. I thought that was a bricknose and OBS tailgate.
I think that pic is of a little Ranger.  Right?  Don't think there was a brushed grille for the full-sized trucks in the Bullnose era.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
TheScatch wrote
I didn't realize the brushed aluminum grill was available pre 1987. I thought that was a bricknose and OBS tailgate.
I think that pic is of a little Ranger.  Right?  Don't think there was a brushed grille for the full-sized trucks in the Bullnose era.
My bad that was a typo... Brain fart? I meant tailgate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Package B shows brushed aluminum tailgate applique with the red reflective stripe. I assume this means this panel would just fit over the standard tailgate?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the top-of-the-line tailgate, not something special for the Explorer.  Like this from the back of the '85 brochure:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Sure enough!  I missed that, looks like if you were buying a flareside and wanted the explorer package it was at least a "c".

Thanks for posting the color cross reference Gary!  My truck was definitely one color, code 1E silver and not two tone, so the buyer must have selected the two tone delete.

What's interesting, and this is from page 5 - the tape stripe on my truck doesn't match the ones shown.  It shows a regatta blue stripe in the brochure; my truck came with a regatta blue and light blue stripe, as shown by the sticker and marti report and still on the truck.  So it's a non two tone, with a type 7 pattern multi color tape stripe. Hmmm

Heres another question:  is the chrome trim on the interior door cards an XLT option?  So an XL truck wouldnt have it... but if it's an XL explorer it got "XLT trim"?
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That’s what I have on mine. Try to find that panel! And for me affordable, not yet.

Mine has a crack in the reflector, not too bad though. Had it stored in my garage when I had the Gem Top canopy on it.

Sometimes I think I want to find a tailgate at the JY and store mine for protection. For what good reason I don’t know!

If I end up getting a quad to push snow, that’s my thought, beat up a beat up tailgate!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by SCFlareside
SCFlareside wrote
Sure enough!  I missed that, looks like if you were buying a flareside and wanted the explorer package it was at least a "c".

Thanks for posting the color cross reference Gary!  My truck was definitely one color, code 1E silver and not two tone, so the buyer must have selected the two tone delete.

What's interesting, and this is from page 5 - the tape stripe on my truck doesn't match the ones shown.  It shows a regatta blue stripe in the brochure; my truck came with a regatta blue and light blue stripe, as shown by the sticker and marti report and still on the truck.  So it's a non two tone, with a type 7 pattern multi color tape stripe. Hmmm

Heres another question:  is the chrome trim on the interior door cards an XLT option?  So an XL truck wouldnt have it... but if it's an XL explorer it got "XLT trim"?
You are really digging into this!  Interesting stuff.

But Page 19 of the early 1985 brochure (Documentation/Literature/1985 Literature/Early 1985 Brochure) says that both the XL and the XLT got the Bright Surround Moulding on the Door Trim Panel.

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Appreciate you taking the time to share and scan the info like this.

An interesting statistic (copyright Marti Auto works, more available from them):  in my trucks report it noted:  out of about 93,000 4x4 F150s, 5,047 were equipped with Explorer Package C
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  I wonder how many F250HD's came with the C package?  Maybe I should get a Marti report on BB?  But, I'm changing so much...

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by SCFlareside
SCFlareside wrote

The "XL" and "XLT Lariat" trim packages both had the chrome trim ring around the interior door panel.  Therefore, an "XL Explorer" truck should have the chrome trim.

The "XLT Lariat" trim package also added upholstered door panel inserts for 1985 and 1986.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
That's the top-of-the-line tailgate, not something special for the Explorer.  Like this from the back of the '85 brochure:

Sure enough there it is, I thought this was only on the new trucks. IDK which one I like better honestly.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
To answer your earlier question, yes, it does fit over the standard tailgate.  When I replaced mine, the embossed F O R D letters were stamped into the tailgate, along with about 8 holes for the finish panel.

Here it is on Lucille:

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Jury is still out for me lol. I am on the fence on which tailgate I like better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I also like how someone adapted this Bronco trim to a truck tailgate.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
TheScatch wrote
I also like how someone adapted this Bronco trim to a truck tailgate.

That is not Bronco trim.

That is what the top-of-the-line F150/F250 tailgate finish panel looked like from 1980 - 1984.  It was redesigned in 1985 to what you see on my truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Really, well the post I was reading was wrong lol. Either way, that's a good looking trim piece.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I really like that trim panel as well. In fact, I like it over the later one as I'm not a fan of the later one. It's not that I think it looks bad it's just not my cup of tea as they say.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
1980/1981 "Ranger Lariat"
1982 "XLT Lariat"
1983/1984 "XLT" tailgate finish panel:

1985/1986 "XLT Lariat" tailgate finish panel:

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Still jealous of that truck lol, one of these days mine will be done and I can ride over and see it.