Exhaust pipe flange to manifold studs and nuts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exhaust pipe flange to manifold studs and nuts

86 1/2 Brutus
Well yesterday when trying to get the exhaust pipe off the manifold, of course i broke a bolt, but fortunately i only broke it off in the middle and can still get it out with a wrench.  Talk about a pain to get to it.  Anyway, i cant find the studs and nuts anywhere.  everything gives me for a 302 or for a whole manifold kit.  Can anybody help.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exhaust pipe flange to manifold studs and nuts

86 1/2 Brutus
this is frustrating, i cant find anything anywhere, even the part numbers from the book are not crossing to anything
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm not sure what broke and on what vehicle motor. A picture and specifics would help. Feel for ya, broken bolts are never fun.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
86 f150 4.9 motor.  where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold there are 2 studs that hold it , one of the studs broke in the middle.  its going to be a pain to get it out, but it can be gotten out, it broke in the middle and i can get a wrench on the other nut that holds it to the manifold.  problem is i cant find anything out there and the ford part numbers are not crossing to anything at all
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
7/16-14?

Dorman has a listing for -'87-> but I don't know that EFI manifolds take larger studs than carbed ones.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-188-03135.aspx?make=Ford&origin=keyword
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I think they are different.  i  have a 4.9 in the 88 parts truck, the manifold is visually different
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Of course they look different. EFI have two manifolds, but I don't have a carb manifold to work with.
So, what is the pitch and length you need?

Man, I miss the days when the parts store counter was supported be a whole row of Orange drawers....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
thats what i'm trying to find out.  I haven't gotten the broken stud out yet.  I was hoping to find a Dornman replacement or someting, but nobody has anything anywhere for the 86 4.9.     going to probably have to go to the hardware store and do something there if all else fails
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure Dorman has proper studs and brass nuts.
You have plenty of options in the HELP! racks.

Most Ford were 3/8-16 except for oddball metrics found on the I-4's and European engines in the Capri.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
as soon as i get it out, if my back  isn't broken like the bolt and how you have to get it out eeeeeeek!!  i'm going to hit the help section at audozone
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good luck!

That doesn't sound like fun.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
nothing about working on a 300 is fun, you can park a full size LTD on the driver side under the hood, and on the passenger side, you cant fit a pregnant ant and thats where everything is.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Heat the manifold with a propane, Maf Gas or oxy accletine torch. Anything to get it red hot and back it out easy. As soon as it starts turning, dont stop until it is out
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
old55pete wrote
Heat the manifold with a propane, Maf Gas or oxy accletine torch. Anything to get it red hot and back it out easy. As soon as it starts turning, dont stop until it is out
Totally agree with Steve on the removal. I might add that if you can tap on the head of that bolt with a light hammer, might want to do that too. The heat and impact are a good combination for removal.    
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Thanks.  I'll let you know how this turns out.  I'm dreading this.  I wish i could use the impact, you cant, you can barely get a ratchet on it
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT.     had to start the motor and let it idle for a while to get it hot and it backed right out.  now off to the zone
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now THAT is enginuity!  

Well done!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Good deal!
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Ok guys, they are 7/16 - 14  nothing in the help section so i went with a bolt and nut between.  now i have to get that donut on there, ugggg.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The ones I linked above are 7/16-14

That seems universal for the EFI Fords: 4.9, 5.8, 7.5, and the Tritons including the 10 cylinder.

I'm pretty amazed they don't stock them.
 Jim,