Exhaust pipe flange to manifold studs and nuts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exhaust pipe flange to manifold studs and nuts

86 1/2 Brutus
yea me too.  there is absolutely no mention of the 86 4.9 anywhere.  i guess is the reason i call it Ghost Truck
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I ordered the Dornman that you sent me the link for Jim.  Thanks for finding that for me.  It looks like they will work.  The bolt idea wont work, before i set everything in, i tried to put my new bolt and it will not thread into the manifold.  The edge of the bolt and what i took out of the manifold are a bit different although the threads are the same.  I double checked everything and went on ahead and ordered the Dornman's.  Dont want to take any chances.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Do your self a big favor, use the copper never seize on those bolts. I have used it on turbo mounting bolts and a few years later those nuts came right off when the turbo needed to be changed again. The copper is for high heat aplacations.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can't make any grantee those will work but they have a half dozen pages of Ford application...

Poke around checking local stock online.
The chain stores all have "nearby" when your designated store doesn't stock.
My NAPA app is freaking useless for this, though..

Steve, the Doorman kit (above) has brass or bronze nuts.
Seizure shouldn't be a problem.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I ordered them from Amazon.  I did some poking around myself and nothing says it fits Brutus but they sure look the same to me.  I've been in parts and i'm thinking there is something up with the cataloging at Dornman.  I'll let you know if they work.  I worked at Napa and years ago at Western Auto ( I miss Western Auto ) anyway, you'd be surprised at how many mistakes i found over the years

thanks guys.

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Steve, the never sieze might be a good idea, but this is the original, never been off and 210,000 miles.  Starting the engine, letting it heat up then hitting it with a bit of wd40 did the trick, it came right out.  Thats how i got the other one out.  I think the reason the first one broke was because we didn't have the engine hot.   I started the engine and got it hot and the other one came right out, and i did the same thing again once i was able to move the pipe out of the way to get to the broken stud.  started the engine, got it hot, shot it with wd40 and it came right out

i do think i'm going to do it just as an added precaution.  Once the AC goes in, the only way you can access it is by taking the inner fender well off
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Good for you! The chore for which you were seriously dreading turned out to be minor considering what it could have been. Had it been me, I'd had to pull half the engine apart to fix it. My motto....what can go wrong, always goes wrong.....arghhh.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Yes it did John, but it isn't over.  Still have to put the donut in it when the studs come in so we have a whole sea of things to go wrong there :-)  I'm just thankful i didn't have to pull  or break the manifold
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I got the Dornman studs in today.  They look exactly like the one i took out, well, except the new one isn't broken.  Going ot try to put on the truck this afternoon.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
The studs in my ‘84 5.8 are 7/16-14. I bought the Dorman studs that everyone has and they didn’t fit. Don’t remember the part number off hand.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What size studs did you buy, Mark?
You do realize that for decades the only thing Dorman did were wheel and engine studs (plus unique fasteners)

The OP replied that the ones I linked above were a perfect match for his 4.9
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You do realize that for decades the only thing Dorman did were wheel and engine studs (plus unique fasteners)

It's been a while but I bought them at Autozone and they must've been listed for my truck or I wouldn't have bought them.  *cough cough* (Though sometimes the listings are such a clusterfuck I order things that aren't listed when I know -- or hope, if I don't know -- that they will interchange.)  Anyway I still have them and I pulled them out and they are Dorman 03129, which are metric and don't fit.

‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote

Well I crawled under my first car in 1973 when I was fourteen (it was a 1964 Chrysler 300 -- GORGEOUS dashboard) and my go-to part store was NAPA.  I honestly don't remember what Dorman sold at the time or when they introduced the HELP stuff, but I do know that some of their stuff is junk and some is perfectly good.

Mark
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by BullnoseLuvr
I wonder if it's Dormans bad application, or AutoZones?

I often do my own research and go in to a store "I want ABC's part number 654321"
"Whats the vehicle?"...
It's not a vehicle, it's a flying carpet.  Do you have one in the warehouse or not?

If someone asks me what engine I have when I want a headlight I just walk away.
 Jim,