classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exhaust options for 351W

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, better flowing than E7's at any rate.
Cheap as dirt if you find a V-8 Exploder no one knows about yet...

I guess that's one of the advantages of having tow buddies.
You never know what might be hidden in someone's back yard or might crap out on the road tomorrow.

They seem perfect for what GSM is asking, but I wouldn't pay much for them.
Class racing will build a.following and market for any advantage.

A carb adapter manifold and something like a Q-jet would seem ideal for this build too.
But I'm a skint bastard who loves cobbling junk and KISS.

I want to be able to fix my stuff with basic tools on the side of the road .

(I'm proving that wrong right now  ðŸ¤£)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Correct, the GT40 heads will be worlds better than the E7 stock for stock.  Even porting the E7`s wont come close to a set of GT40 heads from the reading I done.

I still believe a stock like 96 explorer engine with the GT40 heads would be his best bet for a daily driver.  Sure wont make a whole lot of power like a built engine that isnt being setup for emissions like Ford did but it will still be a good engine.

The explorers can be had cheap depending on location.  Here in Texas trucks and suv`s bring a premium and some times its hard to get a junked vehicle from a junkyard for cheap.  Same with engines, every one I looked at for a 96 explorer engine seems to be around $2500 - $3500 and they claim it was running when it came in.

No way to verify it and you know it will be best to rebuild it cause they will do damage.  We've done junkyard engines at work and we've found oil pans speared by the forklift down to broken sensors and bolts.  Even had one come in with a shattered intake due to how they removed it.

But that isnt a given thats just around here.

There is a place online that sells a 96 Explorer long block but they dont offer a warranty anymore now.  They told me they only offer a warranty if the engine is going in the vehicle it is listed for.  I told them that was a c.s. thing to do to not warranty an engine because its going in something other than their listed application.  The engine doesnt know what its going in and that tells me that the engine must not be that good if they wont honor a warranty in another vehicle.  But they also went up on the price was $3,500 when it was $2,500 before.  Im sure if he looks around he might be able to finda 96 Explorer 302 with the GT40 heads as a built long block.  Then just pickup a intake and carb and back date it.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's why I said it's good we -tow buddies- here all know one another and look out (before the vehicles even get dropped off the flatbed)
If it never makes it to the yard, the most price is scrap value.

Espy already has a 351.
Why would you want to give up an extra 16%? (under any circumstance)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep, I got a few tow buddies from work, she used her flat bed to tow my 56 home some 15 miles and she said if I got cash $100 and she didnt even fill out a wrecker bill or anything.  With a wrecker bill would have cost me some $195 to $200 with all the fees.

It also helps if you know someone that knows how to make something disappear.

We actually have a truck at work I been seriously thinking of robbing parts off of.  its like a '83 F150 extended cab we put a 351w crate engine in it and then the owner didnt want to pay the bill after her husband came over and added a bunch more onto the repair order.  Been 2 1/2 years almost now since we did it and Im seriously tempted to see if the aircleaner is in good shape to rob off it for my truck as well as seeing if I could hack off the hook style tail pipe hanger and see how it bolts in on my truck.  If it fits right would make my life easier than hacking my new tail pipe up to weld on the correct hanger to fit my OE frame hanger.

That works for me cause boss is ready to part the truck out as its in our way.  Just make it disappear since we havent heard from the people in some year and a half now.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, you've already told me how stupid expensive it is to file a mechanics lien and get title it is down there.

Around here where land is expensive, we have few bigger yards, and many places shred vehicles right into train cars or barges.
Someone would REALLY want to find that vehicle (like it was a mob hit) to dig through all those chunks.

A few yards were notorious for taking anything and "making it go away".
I can't mention names, and I wouldn't EVER want to cross those guys.
They are very useful to have on your side.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
It is, cost you money, takes time, and the owner is notified of the lien and they can come up and dispute it by claiming they never authorized the work.  Its actually easier to just make it disappear and then play dumb like "oh you didnt come and get it?  well it was gone from here like 4 weeks ago we thought you came and took it when we were closed saturday/sunday

Junkyards arent too bad to dispose of a vehicle, but scrap yards to shread a car you have to present the title to them to prove you own the vehicle.