classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exhaust Venting Hoses for Garage Use

Rembrant
Guys,

Do any of you use any type of exhaust vent hoses in your garage? Or does anybody have any experience with them?

I may or may not have set off the CO sensor in the house one day last week which caused a visit from the fire department. It's a long story, and Mrs. Rembrant was not impressed....

Anyway, when I was a young lad working at a Texaco station we had exhaust hoses that went on the tailpipe of the cars in the bays and out through holes in the bay doors.

I think I need to look into this a little more.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Exhaust Venting Hoses for Garage Use

Ray Cecil
I know you have a piece of this laying around.....

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I don't have any experience, but I've often thought of installing an exhaust system like that.  Eastwood used to have a system called Exhaustaway, but I can't find it now.  However Amazon has this port that goes in the door, and this hose.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I have a dryer vent through the garage with a 5" to 4" reducer I was using for a portable AC. I also had some 3 layer (PET/foil) commercial dryer exhaust tubing laying around I thought I would give a go. But adapting that to a tail pipe and the question if it would handle the heat makes it a questionable use. I thought about hooking up a 5" exhaust fan to it and just running the hose along the ceiling/wall, blocking off the end and perforating the hose  with some 1" grommets to pull airborne contaminants outside.

I'm still considering using that vent though for exhaust, just maybe a different hose option.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Exhaust hose is pricey!

Not too long ago I was working on a custom home where the masons were laying the pool deck.
They had never done pool work and this was a freeform pool scraped into the natural ledge.

I backed 'Lil Red up to the general area and showed them how to slip the schedule 40 over my tailpipe, and swap ends before the first half got too soft.
I also showed them how to use a wet towel to get it to set.

460 exhaust does get hot enough to char PVC!
Polyethylene, like Ray shows, is a complete non-starter.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Exhaust hose is pricey!

xXX exhaust does get hot enough to char PVC!
Polyethylene, like Ray shows, is a complete non-starter.
You are right on pricey!
I looked into this when I lived in CT because I could not back the car out of the garage because my car trailer with car on it was parked in the drive and no other place to put it.
Because of the price I never did this.

With my new garage I have not even given this a thought as it is larger and I can get the car / truck outside without needing to move anything.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Exhaust hose is pricey!
Oh man you weren't kiddin' eh? I figured I'd follow-up on this thread in case anybody else was ever curious.

I went and checked on the proper garage exhaust hose, and it was way too expensive for what I wanted.

I talked to my brother in law and he had about 20' of this 3" industrial flex hose and he guaranteed me that it would be perfectly fine for exhaust use. Well I finally got to test it today, and it worked great! I don't have any specs on the stuff at the moment, but I'm going to check on it Monday.

Oh...and I used rubber pipe couplings to seal the hose to my two tail pipes, and they worked great too. I brought an CO2 sensor out into the garage while I was working out there, and I didn't set it off, so I guess all was OK.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I used 2x4's under my garage door as spacers rather than cutting holes in my door. I wouldn't use them enough to warrant drilling dedicated holes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad that worked.

And I’d like to know what the hose specs are as that would certainly one in handy.  I have several pieces of 3” drain hose for yard or gutter drains, but doubt that would work very long before it melted.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Glad it worked for you.

Got a question with the 2x4's under the door how much of a gap at the top do you have?
As the door goes up the top pulls a way and why I ask.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
FuzzFace2 wrote
Glad it worked for you.

Got a question with the 2x4's under the door how much of a gap at the top do you have?
As the door goes up the top pulls a way and why I ask.
Dave ----
Dave, you are correct sir there was a little gap at the top where the door was starting to pull away from the wall. I didn't measure it, but could see a little sunlight peaking through.

I wasn't really concerned about the gap at the top. The only issue it caused for me was a little heat loss, which I don't think was much of an issue at all as the truck was giving off enough heat to more than fill my little garage...lol.

I wanted the bottom sealed up as much as possible so that exhaust fumes didn't roll back inside. If there was any exhaust getting in along the top it had dissipated enough that it wasn't noticeable (I had a sensor out there with me).

I have been running engines in this garage for over 15 years now, and it's never really been an issue...but this old Bullnose has been a bit of a thorn in my wife's side because of the fumes. Gotta do what I can to keep the peace or I'll be working outside...lol.