Engine swap dilemma

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine swap dilemma

chas8180
I'm redoing an 86' CC 4x4 LB that was originally a 6.9, my original intention was to swap in a 7.3 Godzilla but I'm not sure I want to spend the $10-12k it's going to take to do it. I'm now thinking about a 7.3 powerstroke from a 94-97, there's lots of complete donor trucks under $3k. I know the mounts are the same essentially, the wiring and such isn't to bad with a complete donor, but I don't know if I'll have to clearance the firewall for the turbo and downpipe? Any thoughts on this or any other concerns I might be missing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine swap dilemma

JimJam300
Have you thought about turbocharging the 6.9? Banks has a kit for $3500 and it's all bolt-ons which would get you above stock 7.3 Powerstroke figures. Wouldn't have to fuss with blending several trucks together.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine swap dilemma

chas8180
Yeah I have been lately, I sold the original engine because it was a smoking, leaking son of a bitch, more so than normal Lol. If I found a good 7.3 IDI I might do that, but I would definitely put a E4OD or 4R100 behind it and use a Quick 4 controller. That’s kind of why I was thinking I could buy a donor 94-97 truck, there’s lots of them for less than a turbo kit, and then I would just swap over the whole drivetrain and integrate the harness.