classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine Squeal

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends got the truck up and running a week or so ago and have not had time to do much else. Basically after changing the intake gaskets, rebuilding the distributor and carburetor and cleaning up a host of other things just wanted to fire it up. He fires right up, idles nicely and sounds good. There is a carb or timing issue that I need to mess with as it seems to stall with sudden increased rpm (likely the accelerator pump I think) but the thing that is more concerning to me is the squeal I hear with increasing rpm. When time permits, I'm going to pull the belts but just wanted your thoughts on what you think it might be? Below is the video I have uploaded to YouTube. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbQpViNxaE4&feature=youtu.be

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine Squeal

kramttocs
Administrator
Sounds like a belt to me.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Agreed, sounds like a belt. The good news is they are cheap and easy to change.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's on getting it going!  

And, I concur - that's a belt squeal.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks gentlemen! Makes sense as I loosened the power steering belt to eval the pump for a leak. Probably didn't get it tight enough. Need to replace the belts. Any recommendation on quality belts?
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I've always used Gates since they are available locally although I got my latest ones from RA. I have heard really good things about vbeltsupply though.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Pulled the belts last night and indeed it was the power steering belt. They all looked bad and need to be replaced. Replacing all the belts, hoses, fuel line and other consumables.

I made a five hour trip to move my daughter out of her apartment a few weeks back pulling a trailer. Had I known then what I know now, don't think I would have made that trip. At least, not with this truck. Good ole reliable truck though. Gonna give it some TLC!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It deserves some TLC.  Glad you got the belt issue sorted.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI