Engine Paint

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine Paint

Bruno2
It is almost time to paint my block. I am going with a Ford Gray color. I would like to use the Eastwood 2 part paint, but think I will keep it simple with a rattle can. Does anybody have any recommendations on brands, horror stories or things not to do?
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine Paint

85lebaront2
Administrator
Brandon, I used Rustoleum engine paint I believe, I will have to look at the can tomorrow when we get back, Ford blue as close I could get it.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine Paint

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Bruno2
I can tell you exactly how I do it and it holds up well. I clean a block as well as I can. I use clothes detergent for a final wash. I then dry and apply phosphoric acid. I wipe that off and prime with epoxy. A couple coats will do. Then after 30-60 minutes, I spray with Duplicolor Ceramic. I did this exact procedure on a set of heads once, that I had just gotten back from the machine shop. When I was doing the assembly of the head, I noticed a problem and ha dot take the heads back to the shop. When I picked them up the machine shop wanted to know what I had used to paint them as they said they never saw paint stick like was on the heads.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco