Emissions Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Emissions Question

fords4life
So I have the Colorado "Collector Vehicle" plates which means I only have to do emissions every 5 years.  At the same time, I don't want to redo everything just for emissions every 5 years.  Thinking I need to leave the smog pump system, O2 sensor, and cats alone for now.  Wondering though if I can just slap a "racing" lower intake manifold gasket in to block the flow of exhaust to the EGR so I can quit dumping the nasty stuff into the intake.  Any thoughts from those of you more intimate with the '86 EFI setup than I am?  They don't check EGR function during the test.  They just make sure all equipment is installed and that it passes the numbers.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Emissions Question

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You may get codes from the computer as it expects the exhaust gas to lean out the mix, and w/o it the mix at part throttle will be quite rich.  I'm not sure the computer can adjust far enough to bring the mix back into the proper range.  But it is easy to try and put back if needed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
This is why I posted..... lol  I hadn't thought about that part.  Darn early EFI always getting in the way.  
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I don't know for sure, but I would think the computer will adjust the F/A mix for this at warm cruise without seting a code.  Providing the O2 sensor is fuctioning properly.

Now, during self test the computer may test for this and set a code.

But, like you say, easy enough to test out.

Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"