Eliminate all emissions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Eliminate all emissions

Dutch
If this has been asked and answered, please forgive, I can't seem to find it.
85 F-150, 4.9, A/C, 3 speed w/OD
I want to install a Carter 2bl conversion and eliminate all emissions, pump, EGR, O2 sensor, all vacuum components, vacuum lines, all.
Does anyone have detailed instructions for this?  What type and size of caps and plugs will I need and location of areas where I would install?

Also I want to install Petrontics disturber, coil and wires. What components should I order?
85 F-150, 2wd, short bed, 4.9, 3sp/overdrive, side mounted 16.5gal tank.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Eliminate all emissions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a huge question.  And I don't think there is a set of instructions to do this.  So we are going to have to take things one at a time to answer that question.

Let's start with the ignition part.  See this page: Electrical/Ignition and the Ignition Simplification tab.  I know you said Pertronix, not HEI, so we will have to rethink that.

My understanding is that the Pertronix system puts the module in the distributor, but not the coil.  So the question is whether or not you need to eliminate the resistor wire and provide higher current to the module.  Do you have an owner's manual?

For your other questions, I'll take a shot at the vacuum part.  You need vacuum for the vacuum advance, brake booster, HVAC, and speed control if you have one.

But I don't know about the size of caps and plugs, so we will have to cross that bridge when we get to it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
3/8-24 is usually the size of the Thermactor tube fittings, if you want it clean, use Allen setscrews for plugs. 2 barrel, I would recommend a Clifford intake.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
My 1986 F150 with 4.9L engine is somewhat of what you have described. It was done a little at the time with trial and error and much reading. EGR was eliminated. The feedback carburetor and ignition were replaced with the older style Ford Duraspark ignition and a Carter YF 1 barrel carburetor.

As Gary said, the "basics" are that one vacuum line will be needed to go to the distributor. Most connect this to the carburetor port which is ported [no vacuum @ idle], but others use an available vacuum port on the manifold [vacuum tree]. Another larger vacuum line is connected to the PCV valve and the last larger vacuum hose is connected to the power brake booster.

My Duraspark distributor [1983 or earlier] is connected to a MSD 6AL ignition box. Most use a Ford Duraspark ignition box.

Some people use DUI which has the ignition module located in the distributor cap. The advantage is being a single wire connection, and Gary can better detail the use of a relay to ensure a full 12 volts.

Another way to handle the ignition is to use a Duraspark distributor and a 4 pin [GM] ignition module. Google Gofastforless and you can read about this option.

An adapter can be purchased enabling a 2 barrel to be mounted on the original log intake manifold, but is not recommended. The larger 2 barrel is still restricted by the 1 barrel hole.

I'll stop here and see what you are thinking.