Electrical Problem again

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
60 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Problem again

jdavidsmi
Well, I thought I had fixed the electrical issues with my truck, but not. A couple of days ago on the way to town I noticed the volt meter was dropping from 13 volts down pass 12 volts and by the time I got to the auto parts store, I was not sure I would make it in. The battery was all but dead.
I thought the new alternator had died, it's only 2 months old, but the alternator and battery both tested OK. but not the voltage regulator, so I installed in a new one, still would not charge. By now the battery was dead and had to be jumped to start the truck. The store clerk got a heavy duty one and everything started working. I completed the shopping I need without any issues.
On the way home the volt meter started climbing up to about 18 volts by the time I got home. Its a 15 to 20 min ride. To day when I started it up, the voltage started out 12. 67 with my DVM at idle. As the truck idled the voltage started climbing, within 15 min it was back up to 16.97 and climbing, I shut it down.  

Battery was fully charged, and nothing that I know of was on.

Is it possible I have too heavy duty voltage regulator??   Is that even possible??
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Problem again

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, I've just changed my browser allegiance to Edge as with Chrome I can't see your signature, and that information is important.

Anyway, I don't know if there is such a thing as too heavy duty of a regulator.  But, something sure is wrong.  You should never see over about 14.5 volts, and if you continue driving it with higher voltage you'll boil the battery dry and probably blow some bulbs.

Since you had the regulator off it is possible that the ground on the regulator is bad.  It is supposed to ground to the fender via the two bolts that hold it on.  So I'd start there, and if that doesn't do it then I'd take the regulator back.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
Gary, thanks for the answer. I just cleaned both contact points where the bolts are for the regulator, plus I added a ground wire between one of the bolts and a known good ground. Did not make any difference, as everything warmed up the voltage went up.

So back to NAPA Monday.

Is there something I need to change so you can see my Signature?

David,
1990 Goldwing 1500
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan.  Gotta be the regulator.

I see your sig perfectly using Microsoft Edge as the browser, but not when using Google's Chrome.  So, it isn't you and I don't think there's anything than can be done to make Chrome work.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It sounds like the new voltage regulator isn't controlling the output from the alternator.

Or when the VR gets warmed up it loses control of the volts.

I use Firefox so I can see the signatures.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I see David's sig in Chrome....

Check to see if the regulator is getting proper 'sense' voltage.

If the regulator doesn't know the battery is charged (or the system voltage is 14.7) it will tell the alternator to keep charging.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by grumpin
Yes, an un-regulated alternator will create 18 to 24 volts or so. So if you saw 18, then it was not regulating the alternator . . .which means turning it on and off. It was being left on. So if something can leave it on . then it seems plausible the something can also leave it off :)  which is what happens when there is no charging. An alternator is constantly being turned on and off, how much on determines how much power is generated, which is to supply how much power is being used. So it varies depending on your load. Now . .can an electronic part malfunction is both ways? Not likely. A mechanical regulator, absolutely, but you don't have one of those. So after all this verbiage . . .  I think I would still start running down connections.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by jdavidsmi
David, does "factory ac, no tach" in your signature mean you have an idiot light dash with no ammeter?

There are two ways to wire a 1G alternator depending on how the dash is optioned.
I have pointed this out in a number of 3G swap threads on FTE.

If the alternator and regulator connections are not correct for the way the truck harness is set up you will have the problems you do.
'Heavy Duty' doesn't mean anything to me.
But the order of wires in the regulator plug matters.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, on the 1980-86 dash, the tach was an option and sat in a small center area of the cluster, with no tach there was a blanking plate installed where it would mount.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This doesn't tell me if it's ammeter or idiot light.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
The Alternator is 1G, a couple of months old, new, not a rebuild. I have the gauges on my dash, but the dash does not have a tach, just the blank spot.
When I first got the truck I added a stand alone volt meter, everything I read said not to trust the amp meter gauge.
The term "heavy duty" for the voltage regulator is what the guy at NAPA call it. its NAPA # is ECH VR440. which is a Echlin.

David
David,
1990 Goldwing 1500
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
So you have an integral regulator . . . what needs to be checked are the connections to the regulator..
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No, he has a 1G with an external regulator.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
OK stock alternator, then you do  this very basic test. Unplug thew regulator and jump the F and A terminals together, at the connector. Check the battery voltage with a voltmeter. It should be very high. If it is not, you have an alternator problem or a wiring problem feeding the alternator.If it does jump high, but when plugged back in the voltage at the battery returns to an unacceptable level, you have a bad regulator or bad wiring feeding it. Not fun stuff, but not too difficult. This simple test will clarify the problem.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
Pete, thanks for the information but I do have a couple of questions about the test. after I jump A & F do I start the truck? and checking the battery voltage is between the pos and neg post on the battery, correct?

David
David,
1990 Goldwing 1500
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
after I jump A & F do I start the truck?  . . . . you do if you want to get a charging reading  :)

And yes checking battery voltage right at the battery terminals.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
thanks
David,
1990 Goldwing 1500
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So your truck *does* have an ammeter?

I'll post the wiring diagram and troubleshooting.
Better yet, take advantage of the tremendous resource Gary provides and look for yourself at the EVTM charge circuit he has here on his website.

Click the hamburger at the upper left of this page.
Click EVTM.
Choose a year.
Click charge and power distribution.
Choose with ammeter.

There you will find all the factory troubleshooting,  simplified wiring diagrams, and illustrations.

I'm willing to bet you have a wire mis-connected, for the system you have.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by jdavidsmi
No test yet?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
Completed, the test voltage was around 17.10, moving up down. About the same as when the regulator was plugged in. Looks like a another bad regulator.

I have rechecked the wiring to the alternator and it was correct. The wire from the bat terminal on the alternator, branches at two locations between the alternator and the starter relay, this wire pass the second branch, near the starter relay got very hot.

But everything has to be on hold for a week, We are heading up to Mass., for a family member's funereal.

David,
1990 Goldwing 1500
2017 Chevrolet Traverse